Binary to decimal decoder with open collector outputs?

Did anyone make a 74** something or other that was a binary to one-of-ten decoder that had open collector/drain outputs that one could wired-OR together?

I need to take a binary coded output from a logic IC that's in the 1 to

10 range and convert it to a single on/off decimal output in the range of 1 to 5. Maybe there's a better way to do this.
Reply to
bitrex

Yes, 74 (LS) 145.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There's also the 7441 high voltage (nixie driver) part.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Great, I'd forgotten about that one. Thanks!

Reply to
bitrex

TI or (old) Fairchild.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oh, and the outputs would be wire-ANDed, if you used them in the positive- logic sense. But, since they are active-low, I guess you end up with a wire-NOR output, actually.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Just to be clear, on the '145 if I input a binary '1' say, then that turns on the output transistor corresponding to decimal 1' on and pulls down on the common resistors?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I think so. I now use Digi-Key as my default shelf of data books. (I think I send them PLENTY of money each year, so they shouldn't mind!) Basically, any semi you can think of, they will have the datasheet available on the page where they list the prices. Way faster than getting up and going to the shelf. I looked up the 74145 to answer your original question. The data sheet had a gate-level schematic and a truth table.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

None of this is clear to me, but the '145 is a legacy part, I'd want to avoid using it. It produces a different single LOW output for each of the 1 to 10 inputs, if that's what you want. A 74HC138 can often do the same task, but it has only eight outputs (you said "1 to 5" for the output). Any 74xx138 has three enable and three address inputs, many four-bit input combinations can be decoded, your combination might be one.

Reply to
whit3rd