Re: help - 1N34 diode substitute?

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 22:35:17 -0000 (UTC), Rich sprachen:

Do you really think that after 18 years that the poster is still >waiting for an answer?

He'll be really grateful if he has been.

if love is a drug, then, ideally, it's a healing, healthful drug... it's kind of like prozac is supposed to work (without the sexual side effects and long-term damage to the brain and psyche)

Reply to
greenaum

Suggesting silicon diodes as substitutes for a germanium signal diode is pretty daft too.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Reply to

Hot carrier or Zero bias diodes work well, and have better specs but they aren't cheap. They are made for microwave mixers and detectors

Reply to
Michael Terrell

With a bit of bodging, something like a BAT15-03 (

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

is

ey aren't cheap. They are made for microwave mixers and detectors

I suppose the 1N271 is obsolete, as well? Microdyne had switched to them fr om earlier pat numbers in the late 1990s.

There are Ebay listings for 1N34 diodes. I had a pound of them, from Poly-P aks, but an animal dug a hole under the wall into my shed, and used them to make a nest. Needless to say, the several thousand diodes had their leads rusted away. I still have some that were salvaged from some '70s era comput er PC boards. They were daughter boards with individual flip flops, and the y had silver mica capacitors. I can't imagine the price of something like t hat, back then.

Another trick is to DC bias a diode to give it closer to a zero volt forwar d drop. This was done in some radios in the early days to improve sensitivi ty. I had to scratch my head the first time I saw that trick, with a 6H6 du al diode vaccum tube.

Reply to
Michael Terrell