RF Modulator help

Hi y'all,

I have a 30-yr-old TV, and one of those Commodore 64-in-a-joystick things (top xmas present!). Unfortunately it's only video output is AV, and when my TV was made there wasn't any AV to plug into, so. I imagine that my solution is.... a MODULATOR!

I can't, at the moment, get hold of an old VCR and use that. I've looked up pinouts for Playstation and Xbox modulators (that are pretty cheap). Thing is, the pinouts include chroma/luma on separate wires, as well as RGB and other exotic things.

My new toy is only composite out. One pin on the X-box's video port is composite. But is that one connected to the modulator? Perhaps the modulator uses the chroma / luma signals instead. Could I just wire my composite to the chroma and luma signals together? Just tie them together with a wire? No? Thought not!

Anyway, I live in the UK. The joystick has 6V of batteries in it, so that'd ideally be my power supply. Any ingenious ideas where I can get hold of a modulator? I think Maplin sell one, in a case with sockets and everything, but it's a bit more than I want to spend. A bit more than my new toy is worth!

Also, I'd like to be able to plug my new digital camera, with composite-out, into the same thing. And why not my PC's video-output as well (the proper S-video one, not VGA, duh!).

I would be insanely, ecstatically grateful for a solution here, and cheap is the watchword. Any old suggestions. Maybe I'll get hold of an Atari 2600 and gut the mod from that. Hm. Stupid TV!

Sam.

if love is a drug, then, ideally, it's a healing, healthful drug... it's kind of like prozac is supposed to work (without the sexual side effects and long-term damage to the brain and psyche)

Reply to
greenaum

You should be able to go down to a local video/electronics shop and find such an item. They should be only a few bucks (pounds?). Otherwise an electronics hobbyist shop will have them (probably cheaper). Sorry I don't know any UK names for you.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Try searching

for modulator. Stores in highstreet or mail order.

Reply to
CWatters

What happens to dead VCRs in the UK? Usually it's the plastic gears that die first leaving the electronics still functional. any place that repairs them is likely to have a stack of "unecnomical to repair" units out the back.

you can either gut one and take the modulator or just use it as-is.

--

Bye.
   Jasen