Connecting sound cards.

A friend is giving a set of lectures over computer. I would like to record them and give them to him as a surprise. I've been experimenting and my computer is too slow to capture both video and sounds on the same machine. So I want to record the video on one, feed the sound to another computer and record the sound there. What jack do I connect to what jack? Thanks

Reply to
TheHiddenPoster

Mike Berger

Assuming that the lectures are coming in to you via a webcast. Also assuming that neither PC has a video card with a video INPUT connection (few low-mid priced video cards offer a video input connection).. Use the PC that is receiving the webcast to record the video. Connect this PC's audio line out to the audio line in on the other computer and record the audio there. Use a stereo audio cable with 3.5mm phone plugs on each end. Get one from Wal-Mart, Target, Radio Shack, etc. A question here.. what software are you going to use to record the video without also recording audio? All the multimedia software that I've seen will record both at the same time, and create a single AVI file on your computer that contains both Audio and Video. BUT!!! here's the rub... assuming that you are able to record the video and audio separately, how do you get them back together into a single avi file so that the audio is synchronized with the video??? Unless you have good multimedia editing software, it isn't as easy as it sounds. You might try doing it with Windows Movie Maker from Microsoft. You can download it free from Microsoft's web site.

-- Dave M MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the address)

DaveM

xvidcap/gvidcap. The audio will be hanmdled by audacity.

xvidcap can also, but to do it, you have to turn on the audio recording explicity and when i do that the lag ( probably from the firewall not getting enough cycles ) is so big that the voice sounds like the rightmost octave on a piano.

Without going into detail, there will be onscreen events that correspond to sounds. So the way I will sync is to match up some of these. I plan to start each a bit early, to create a leader. Then when I merge, I will mesure by hand the time it takes to get to the events. Then I will trim the leaders so that the times match up. I expect that I may need four or five trys, but most of that time will be used to drink coffee or do something else.

Reply to
TheHiddenPoster

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:09:55 GMT, TheHiddenPoster sprachen:

I don't know your situation, but one can always unplug the network cable, and then stop the firewall software. I've had to do it in the past.

if love is a drug, then, ideally, it's a healing, healthful drug... it's kind of like prozac is supposed to work (without the sexual side effects and long-term damage to the brain and psyche)

Reply to
greenaum