Question about Capacitors

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Are there no other situations where ripple current matters? Perhaps unusual power HF systems?

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Don't mind the Ham, I mean Graham, he's living in the audio world only.

I think anything above 50 Hz is challenging to him.

Btw, we used 1 Mhz signals in faraday cages at various levels of power to test ripple currents..

1 Mhz was also the freq used in most of the other test.

"

Reply to
Jamie

Jamie wrote in news:5IQLk.7051$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

Wouldn't that have tested the dielectrics in various entertaining ways quite beyond ripple currents? :) I imagine some cap parts would have parted moorings given the kind of stresses this might involve. Not that I know a lot, just got visions of taking this to Tesla levels of experimentation..

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Can you be more specific ? At medium HF, polypropylene is a good dielectric to use and since values tend to be lower at HF, not a problem size wise. I've put

8-10A though a relatively small polyprop cap.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Again, no. I was asking. It wasn't a loaded question. I wasn't suggesting that I know something specific. By HF, maybe I should have said RF because that's what I meant. One possible example occurs to me: an unstable audio amp might oscillate at RF if designed wrong, and that might be one way a capacitor might get damaged by a high current at high frequency. Fixing the cap isn't the answer in this case but it would prove the cap's limits if it happened.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Far more likely to burn out some resistors and transistors actually.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Honestly, I can't see anything in the original question or any of the replies that would explain your obvious need to belittle others. You should take yourself a time out.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

He doesn't need a reason. He suffers from severe delusions of adequacy.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've had 144/146 Mhz & 432/440 Mhz amps with mica and ceramic caps that ran far to hot to touch with a bare finger, and not too big values at that ! Indeed I've seen heat shrink used as dielectric shrivel at half a kilowatt @ 145 Mhz.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

There are no delusions involved.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You mean you WOULD use ceramic caps as reservoir caps ? Interesting.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

I said nothing of the sort. I basically said if you want to correct somebody, there are polite ways to do it without making an ass of yourself.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

I apologise for my bluntness. I had a 'Phil Allison' moment !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore