(Possibly OT) How to find resistors with specific body color?

In the process of creating interesting Christmas gifts, I find that there is fairly ample information available in terms of getting electronic items to work properly--so projects that are concerned largely with function create no difficulty. However, I'd like to embark into the land of aesthetics, and since manufacturers (quite reasonably) don't post photographs of every resistor and capacitor they make, I find myself stymied.

Inspired by this:

I would like to construct some electronic component jewelry. However, I can't figure out how to find prettily colored resistors and caps. I'm hoping someone here can suggest one or more of the following:

- a way to find out the base coating color of resistors and caps

- or, a manufacturer that ::does:: post color photos of each component on their website

- or, where to find some specific models of resistor that are purple, blue, green, or red.

I do apologize for making use of the massed electronics experience of this newsgroup for such frivolous purposes, but this is proving much harder to answer than any strictly scientific electronics question I've come across, and my inability to find a solution is driving me a bit nuts.

ADDITIONAL SAFETY CONCERN: As jewelry may be worn next to the skin, how can I determine whether the component leads are lead-free?

Thanks kindly for your assistance!

Reply to
We're All Bosons On This Bus

Why not just paint them yourself?

--buddy

Reply to
Buddy Smith

Carbon-composition resistors are old, probably not made anymore, and are often found in junk boxes at hamfests. Their body color is dark brown.

Today's carbon-film resistors are a light tan in color.

Precision metal-film resistors are often a light blue.

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

I thought of it, but then they'd just look like resistor-shaped beads--it's the identifying color bands that make them really recognizable (and geeky.)

Reply to
We're All Bosons On This Bus

Some catalogue suppliers include colour pictures, e.g. rswww.com,

You can xref the partnos to your local supplier.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Look for 'Rohs compliant' - this is the EU legislation outlawing lead, amongst other things

Reply to
Mike Harrison