ORP12 etc Cd-S LDR and the RoHS directive.

Seems like I can't get a definitive answer from Google as to whether Cadmium-Sulphide light dependant resistors are RoHS exempt or not.

Someone on another forum thinks they may have seen a note on a Radio Spares catalogue that LDRs aren't compliant.

activate a sound effect when someone walks past - its not difficult to see that the sensor is a LDR. It has a CE sticker on it, but no mention of RoHS.

For now, I've ordered a small stash from Ebay as they aren't (yet) changing hands at collectables prices.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

Why do you care? Audio companders or something like that? I do a lot of analogue stuff, but haven't used a CdS cell since probably 1978.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They are still very widely used as daylight sensors in PIR sensors and lighting photocells. I saw some recently in a CE marked, UK produced sensor where the CdS LDRs had been 'trimmed' in production by scraping off some black paint covering the active area. We use 'light to digital' sensors in our higher end sensors.

JB

Reply to
JB

When contractors installed fire alarms and emergency lighting in the flats, I rescued a few light fittings from the outdoor utility lighting that had daylight shut off.

A couple had mains voltage LDRs driving a hotwire/bimetal relay, a couple more had silicon photodiodes - near as I could tell; similar to BPW34. The photodiode drives an op-amp buffer/comparator - its a proven circuit for sensing daylight with a silicon photodiode, but an LDR still wins hands down for spot on daylight response.

Reply to
Ian Field

You never know - I might want to submit a magazine project that uses them, that might get a bit tricky if the supply dries up and they start changing hands at collectibles prices.

Reply to
Ian Field

They're complete crap if you actually want to measure anything, though--their resistance can vary as much as 5:1 based only on previous history.

A far better way to make a wide-range photometer is to measure the open circuit voltage of a photodiode, and temperature-compensate the result.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They're perfect for those plastic frogs that emit a novelty sound effect when anyone walks past and casts a shadow on the sensor.

Reply to
Ian Field