Needed: 100A contactors

I'm seeking some 80-100A contactors.

3P, Form B (or C), 24VAC coils, DIN rail mounting.

Any suggested PN's & sources?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Cost target?

You can find those at any supplier (say, Mouser, Allied Electronics, etc.), I'm guessing you've already searched and come up unsatisfied??

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

Mostly I've found null results for the specs.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Reply to
Tom Kupp

Alas, those are single-pole. I need 2 or 3P. Looked at relayspec.com to no joy, either.

I have seen NC/DT contactors in many a panel, but I get Irma stole all the new ones.....

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

Alas, those are single-pole. I need 2 or 3P. Looked at relayspec.com to no joy, either.

I have seen NC/DT contactors in many a panel, but I get Irma stole all the new ones..... =======================================================

What voltage rating do you need on the contacts, and ac or dc?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

240 VAC resistive; we are interupting both sides of a 240V circuit.

I'm having such a hard time finding DPNC 100A contactors that I'm debating which is better: using 2 paralled 50A contacts or using 2 SPNC relays.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher
240 VAC resistive; we are interupting both sides of a 240V circuit.

I'm having such a hard time finding DPNC 100A contactors that I'm debating which is better: using 2 paralled 50A contacts or using 2 SPNC relays. ========================================

No luck finding anything rated higher than 50A, sorry. Would dropping the DIN rail mount get you anywhere? As far as two 100A relays or parallel 50A relays, my amateur opinion would be to use two 100A relays. With parallel relay contacts you have to worry about getting equal current sharing over the life of the relay in your apparatus, and I think that that is hard to guarantee.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Not as far as I can tell...

Yes, pondered that. But just finding 100A NC relays much less

2-pole ones, is like making cold fusion work.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

All of the below are "bare" contactors, not in an enclosure. They also aren't usually DIN mount - most of them have a mounting flange or feet at the bottom.

Square D 8502SEO2V01S is 3 pole, 600 VAC / 90 A contacts, 24 VAC coil. A bargain at around $1,400 list price. Full specs at the hideous URL:

Graybar says they can order it for $1,500 (!) and MSC says they'll order it for $1,340. This place says $600 but it's not in stock:

GE's website is crappy enough that it's easier to download their PDF catalog from

and start looking on page 193. From that, you can build part numbers:

CR305M024 2 pole, 600 V / 90 A contacts, 24 VAC coil, list $552 CR305N024 2 pole, 600 V / 135 A contacts, 24 VAC coil, list $1,332 CR305E024 3 pole, 600 V / 90 A contacts, 24 VAC coil, list $600 CR305F024 3 pole, 600 V / 135 A contacts, 24 VAC coil, list $1,440

However, Google can't find any hits for any of those part numbers, so it may not be possible to actually buy them.

Allen-Bradley/Rockwell also makes contactors like this. A 300-DODJ930 is almost what you want - 3 pole, 90 A - except it has a 24 VDC coil (24 VAC seems to not be available). It appears to list around $1,160 and a few places say they'll order it for you at that price. These guys say they can get it in a couple of weeks for $630:

ABB also makes these contactors. I didn't look at their catalog, but came at it through a vendor. ABB A75N3-30-11-84 is 3 pole, 90 A, but

120 V AC coil. Platt Electric stocks it at $400.

Kilovac makes some AC-rated contactors; their FM200 series is in the direction of what you want. An FM200BBXX (2 pole) or FM200BBXXX (3 pole) is exactly what you want, but nobody seems to stock them. Mouser has two FM200CBXXX (3 pole, 120 VAC coil) in stock, for $1,030.

They also make some relays for electric vehicle use that have *DC* contact ratings. I'm not sure what their position is on using the contacts on AC; I looked for a tech note but I couldn't find one. They also have DC coils, so you'd need to add a rectifier. Mouser carries a LEV100A5ANG for $95 (single-pole, so you'd have to use two) or a EV202ASAND for $484 (DPST, only need one). If you don't mind buying surplus, All Electronics has a single-pole one for $39 (!):

For the Square D, GE, Allen-Bradley, and ABB stuff, I sort of suspect that if you walk into the electric supply and they've never seen you before, you pay list price, but if you're their buddy, or they think you might place a big order in the future, it gets a lot cheaper. (This pricing model has been obsolete since the day before Christmas 1990, but it's taking a long time to finally die.)

This may not be what you want, but there is a thing called a "shunt trip breaker". This is a circuit breaker that opens on overload like normal, but it also has a solenoid coil in it that you can use to trip the breaker whenever you want. Once you've tripped the breaker, though, you have to walk over to the breaker panel and manually turn it back on, which may not be what you want. Also, you usually have to get it from whoever built your circuit breaker panel.

(I have seen one used to implement remote emergency stops in a machine shop. The big machines had shunt trip breakers, and a 24 VAC circuit ran around the shop to pushbuttons. You could push any of those buttons and it would open the breakers for the big stuff.)

I am not affiliated with any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Thanks, I'm looking at all of these. But thus far, they all are Form A (NO) contacts. I need Form B (NC) or obviously Form C (DT). I'll look at each you suggested to see if they come either way.

Know those well, but they don't suit our needs....

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Lesher

I missed that in your original post. (It's slightly annoying that industrial electrics have different words for SPST, NO/NC, etc than the rest of the world.) I think some of those I linked had SPDT versions.

How about buying a big NO contactor and "inverting" the control signal to it with a little ice cube relay? Maybe your safety case requires that the big contactor fail closed, though.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Agreed. I'll look again for such....

You have already nailed why we want NC/B.