MM5453N LCD or LED ?

I looking for a 12.5 mm, 6 digit ( 7 segment) LCD or LED with 50 pins to be driven by a MM5453N. I understand that this is late 80s early 90s technology and woul like to know if anyone knows of a surplus house that has one or any individual that can sell me one.

73 Hank WD5JFR
Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

That part is an LCD driver, so you'll not get far with an LED display.

You want a static (not multiplexed) LCD display. The multiplexed type (with more than one backplane will NOT work). Try Mouser. Note that that chip can only drive 32 segments, so it cannot drive all the segments of a 6 digit display.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Spehro This is the display for a Lowe HF-235 receiver made in the UK. The last five characters are used to display tuned frequency up to 29.999 MHz and the first character is used to display status using segments D,F,G. I wonder how they accomplish that if the MM5453 can only drive 32 segments? tnx

Henry Kolesnik

Are there two MM5453s? Or perhaps they implemented it with discrete logic (look for the CMOS XOR or XNOR gates such as CD4070/4077). That's all it takes to drive a static LCD segment once you've got a

50.0% AC BP drive.

BTW, there's a pin-type 18mm 'Lumex' LCD on the website I referenced that might do *if* you can make it fit mechanically and if you don't mind wiring up all those pins.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

No there is only one 5354 and I've got a schemtic of that part in an 82 page pdf but I can't get one page out to send it you. The enitre manual is on mods.dk. If I figure it out I 'll send it so you can look it over and give me a better opinion. tnx

Henry Kolesnik

I think I have it figured out. The Lowe HF-235 radio can tune up to X29.999MHz, where X is used as a status indicator and driven by an exclusive-or gate. For display of frequency the leading or most significant digit of the five can only be a one or a two. For a one bits 31 and 32 drive segments b and c. Segments a,d,e,g are tied together and bits 31 and

33 would make a 2. So if I'm using the correct terminology the 5453 is driving a 4 1/2 digit display that has 6 digits where X is driven by another chip and the next digit can only be a one or a two. So I need to find a 6 digit LCD with 50 pins that match. Any ideas appreciated. tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik