Low-torque Potentiometer

Hi!

I'm looking for a potentiometer or trimmer with a low torque. It doesn't necessarily be really accurate like the ones used in wind vanes and other measuring devices.

Could anyone help me with this? Do you know of any companies that manufacture these?

Really appreciate the help. I've been googling this for hours but all I get are high-precision potentiometers that are too expensive..

Reply to
nsswaga

Do you need to handle a lot of rotational cycles? If so, a servo-pot may be necessary.

Otherwise you might look into pots which use conductive plastic elements. There used to be some Clarostat pots with pretty low torques.

Maybe you can describe your application a bit more...

-frank

Reply to
Frank Miles

Bill Chernoff

Thanks Frank! I just need around 10,000 or more cycles.

I'll be using this to measure the height of a stack of paper. A bar connected to the potentiometer pivots according to the height of the paper. This bar should pivot freely, thus the need of a low-torque potentiometer, and the tip should rest on top of the stack of the paper. The bar should exert a negligible force on the paper which means, the bar should is a lightweight plastic.

Reply to
nsswaga

What's it for? Have you considered an optical device? It's almost impossible to advise you if we are required to possess telepathy.

Reply to
Michael Gray

And yet, this may be "bait" in one of the guvmint's "black programs." If anybody comes up with the correct answer then it may be evidence of an exploitable telepathic capability.

'Scuse me -- gotta run -- a Crown Vic just pulled up and a couple of guys in dark suits are coming to the front door ...

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

You could use a hall-effect device near a magnet that moves. These are pretty cheap although some of them have fairly small output voltages.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

I knew that would happen...

Reply to
Michael Gray

I've already answered that question in response to Frank Miles' quesiton. I'm not sure if you've access to that posting so anyway, I'm resposting it for your info:

Thanks Frank! I just need around 10,000 or more cycles.

I'll be using this to measure the height of a stack of paper. A bar connected to the potentiometer pivots according to the height of the paper. This bar should pivot freely, thus the need of a low-torque potentiometer, and the tip should rest on top of the stack of the paper. The bar should exert a negligible force on the paper which means, the bar should is a lightweight plastic.

Reply to
nsswaga

LOL.. nope, just a harmless citizen here coming up with some ideas..

Reply to
nsswaga