Potentiometer questions...

Hi everyone,

My wife's hair iron that she really likes died, so I've disassembled it looking for the cause. I don't any issues with AC getting into it or any broken connections, but the potentiometer (used to control the heat setting) looks terrible. It is a small blue block with a very small phillips adjustment on top that the heat selection dial fit into. It says something about P103 020T (but the 020T is upside down compared to the P103).

Can you test a potentiometer while it is in the circuit? It has 3 legs, 2 are in corners and the 3rd one is centered on the other side. I am assuming the 3rd one is what is being switched between the first 2, but when I measure it on my DMM, with it turned all the way to one side I get 4.4k ohms between 3&1 and 0 ohms between 3&2. If I turn it to the other side, I expected the 4.4k to switch, but it did not. 3&1 is 0ohms, and 3&2 remains

0ohms. Also, measuring between 1&2 gives mr 4.4k when turned all the way CCW, but 0k when turned CW. Does this mean the potentiometer is broken? Can they be tested in a circuit like this? Do I misunderstand the connections? Does anyone know anything about a P103 020T.

If I could replace this would a couple of resistors setting it to the right temp, it would be pretty cool.

Any ideas?

I can post pics if it helps,

Alan

news.windstream.net

setting)

something

assuming

ohms

remains

right

does it have a switch on it ? it sounds like it might not be the potentiometer thats at fualt, I assume theres some more electronices inside somewhere.

103 is the resistor code for 10k.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

"news.windstream.net" schreef in bericht news:ce3e4$45256ed4$d861a4c3$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...

The pot looks okay, it seems to be wired as a variable resistor rather than a voltage divider, with 3&2 connected together.

Check the resistance of the heater element. If it is infinite, look for a bi-metal switch near or inside the heater. It has probably opened and a hair has been trapped between the contacts. Happens very often.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

2

get

turned

potentiometer

misunderstand

I once found a spider in the contacts of my freezer thermostat lol

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin