Looking for a buzzer

I need a 16 Vac 7/8" diameter buzzer - electromagnetic, NOT a piezo. Any idea where I can get one?

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I used to work on door entry systems that used AC buzzers like this, may be a place to start looking?

--

Paul Luggar

M0SCI

Website

Amsat-UK Member 6484

Devon and Cornwalls Amateur Radio Message Board

Reply to
Paul Luggar

You could make one easily from a small relay. Put the coil in series with the relay contacts and your voltage source. Affix a diaphram to the armataure to increase the area so that the buzz is louder. It also makes a lot of radio interference.

Al

Reply to
Al

Thanks Paul, I'll try that.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thanks Al, I hadn't thought about modifying a relay. Might be a good idea.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

If you use a DC relay on an AC signal it will rattle without modification! (;-)

--

Paul Luggar

M0SCI

Website

Amsat-UK Member 6484

Devon and Cornwalls Amateur Radio Message Board

Reply to
Paul Luggar

I am using an old GE buzzer, dated 1976, that has three terminals on it. A common, a connection for DC voltage, and a connection for AC voltage. I traced the wiring and found that the DC route is through a set of contacts that are in series with the coil. The AC route bypasses the relay contacts as described by the top-poster above. BTW, the packaging for this buzzer says it was printed in England. Odd, but maybe the buzzer was made in England also.

Al

Reply to
Al

Yes - but not loud enough. The mod would be to somehow affix a diaphram as Al suggested. I wouldn't energize it through its own contact - that's likely to destroy the contact sooner or later, which would defeat the thing.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Update - I finally got the buzzer the day before yesterday. I found a place that does door entry (thanks to your reply), & ordered their buzzer almost two months ago. There was some kind of snafu - they thought they had shipped the thing but they didn't. Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thanks again.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr