Noisy buzzer on PIC output

I am driving a piezo buzzer (RS 273-074 3-16v DC) from one of the outputs of a PIC16F88. I am getting a very faint buzz from the buzzer even when the PIC output is low (almost like I am picking up the clock oscillations).

I have tried .01uf caps both in parallel and series with the buzzer. I have also tried .01uf on the power supply leads of the PIC. I have also tried pulling the buzzer H and L with 10K resistors.

Any ideas how I can supress the noise.

Thanks

Reply to
Bill

Pull the IO down to ground with something like 10k and make it an
input when you don\'t want to hear the buzzer.
Reply to
John Fields

try a pair of anti-parallel 1n914 diodes in series with the piezo. a pull-down resistor on the pic output may help too. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

What does the other side of the piezo connect to? Is the supply for the PIC bypassed? What else is running on that supply?

Reply to
John Popelish

That's what I was wondering, hopefully not a car battery. :-O I assume he only needs DC applied and not a pulse train. Given that, I'm thinking that the other end is connected to a voltage slightly higher than the PIC Vcc or lower than it's Vss allowing current to flow thru the protection diodes. If so, it'll probably take care of itself when it burns out that diode. ;-)

I'm betting on your first question. JF's idea should work fine too, but I think the OP should find out what the real problem is. It's most likely not the PIC, unless the output port is somehow damaged.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

outputs

the