Indoor tabletop motion detector???

Does anyone sell an inexpensive indoor tabletop motion detector that controls a lamp?

Reply to
Rhiannon Pendragon

You just buy onw that installs in a wall switch box, and put it on the table. You buy one of those blue electrical switch boxes for fifty cents, and mount it in there. Run the wires out to the plug.

I hate those things. At work, every time I'm in a room with one, I'm under the desk hooking up the PC, or sitting there waiting, and the damn motion sensor switch turns off. I gotta get up and wave the hands or whateve to get it to go back on. And then a few mins later it does it again! Grrrr.. >:-(

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

Build one of your LED flashlights with infrared LEDs and a photocell to make it flash when the lights go out, then set it somewhere aimed at the motion light.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, it's not that simple. The IR from the LED is short wavelength IR, about 800 nanometers. The IR that the PIR motion sensor senses is long wave IR, maybe 7000 to 15000 nanometers. So it's like pointing a VHF transmitter at an AM radio and expecting it to receive something. Ain't gonna happen.

However I could put a spark coil in place of the LED and light a gas jet or something. That should do it. Probably burn the place down too! :-o

Reply to
alondra101

I read in sci.electronics.design that snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote (in ) about 'Indoor tabletop motion detector???', on Fri, 1 Apr 2005:

Replace the LED with a resistor that gets warm?

(s.e.marketplace removed as irrelevant)

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Yeah, I thought about that, too. One problem here is that the PIR circuits that I've seen have two things. One is a coupling capacitor that's between stages. Another is the PIR sensor itself which has two sensors and the output is the difference of the two. I guess that's to prevent a parked car's warm hood from swamping the sensor and preventing it from turning off. A resistor would be much like that, with no apparent motion. So if you have a _moving_ warm body, it'll trigger the sensor.

I'm not sure if lighting a small lamp in front of the sensor would do the trick. If it was sensitive to that, the lamp that it turns on, once on, would swamp the sensor and it would never turn off.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Are you sure he slept there? I am uncertain of that without good evidence. He may have tried passing through but was probably excluded. Pauli was a bit like that - strong on his principles.

Reply to
R.Lewis

Of course not. It's just my .sig, which executes 'fortune'.

And, yes, I think I get the joke, but it's a little bit, um... ephemeral? obscure? Oh, well. I'm sure one of the old guys has a word here. ;-)

--
Cheers!
Rich

If you were sure he was sleeping (and presumably at rest), then you could not be sure of where. I think some physicist was sure of that relationship.

It's elliptic, at least.

We may be caught in a loop here.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

Are you a bot?

--
Cheers!
Rich

[Invitation to respond and response cut for space.]

How would I know? Or you? Does it matter?

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

By whether or not you feel. :-)

This is very interesting, and in fact is something that is not only in research as we "speak," but this very communication is a component or facet or aspect, if you will, of that research. Otherwise, I just rely on my felt-sense. Most people have their felt-sense shut down, and that's the affliction that gives rise to ULs like "you're only using 10% of your brain." Pfaugh! You might be using 100% of your _brain_, but you haven't even _ACKNOWLEDGED THE EXISTENCE_ of your

---- ---- Whoops! I almost had a "Norman: Coordinate" there! %-\

- Does it matter?

This is also a very cool question. I'm going to have some more drugs now.

--
Cheers!
Rich

It's not that it matters if you're human or machine, but what does matter is, now that we've engaged, what kind of games we can play with the heads of our esteemed audience. I must warn you, if we choose to play an adversarial sort of game, I could make Fred Bloggs look like Sister Betrille. But I only said that to get it out of the way - I haven't ever really picked up an adversarial sort of vibe from you, just that you have such sensitive hotbuttons, in such narrowly-defined areas of expertise.

But coming up with "caught in a loop" did, in fact catch my attention, and I thought I'd make up a new game, I guess.

Did you know that there's a bot that's a regular on news:alt.religion.wicca ? For extra credit, lurk there for awhile or browse a few hundred or so recent messages, and see if you can figure out which nym it is. ;-)

--
Cheers!
Rich

My creator(s) have effected an effective simulacrum of feeling, enough so that I cannot distinguish it from the reports of others on such matters. So, objectively, I did not think of that as dispositive, at least until now.

Ooohh. I feel like a bug seeing a big eye through a magnifying glass. Either creepy or fascinating.

That can be reliable, depending on what you want.

Most times when I've heard that notion, it has been from people who seemed to believe they used more of their brain than others. I was never so sure.

I'm afraid I've failed the inkblot test. Filling in those blanks is just too hard, considering all the choices that must be excluded. Illogical, but there it is.

Have fun!

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

(sci.electronics.misc and sci.electronics.components removed from followups, leaving only sci.electronics.design .)

"Rich The Newsgr>> "Rich The Newsgr>>>> "Rich The Newsgropup Wacko" wrote in

Sounds too complicated to work in any real world. (Just an opinion, based on limitations I perceive.)

Almost seems tempting, but I'm way too fond of my memories of young Sally to jeopardize them.

[snip]

Hmmm. Are the rules consistent enough that anybody has a chance of figuring them out, ultimately?

I guess I'll take a look without worrying about credit.

I'll leave that bait on the hook, thanks anyway.

Best regards,