How to make, where to buy, order 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz crystal/ ceramic resonators

Statek used to be the original source for tuning fork style crystals, which is what you need at low kilohertz frequencies.

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

You beat me to it!

These are wonderful people.
Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
la-la

US TV color burst frequency. There is one crystal of that frequency in every US TV. So they are very common and cheap.

Not sure how long that will stay after HDTV takes over. I would think it would still be needed for S-video and lower quality inputs from legacy DVD's and VCRs.

--

    Gerald Bonnstetter
    Bonnsoft - Computer Programming and Software Repair

In reality TV crystals are no cheaper than other popular frequencies.

I've normally used 4, 8, 12 and 16 MHz for my microcontoller designs and there have been no problems either sourcing them or with the price.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If you only need one or two, you can usually pull a crystal or two from a jun TV set for free. I probably have 100 on hand from dead TV sets.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

there

I don't build stuff with salvaged parts though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

time you told us why you want one of this freq. Without that, who knows what options are most suitable. App, quantity, tolerance and so on.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

there

I will use them for prototypes, or to repair my personal equipment. The failure rate on crystals is so low that it doesn't make sense to buy a new part, when I have something on hand that is likely to outlast the equipment.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
la-la

Why do you need crystals? A tunable audio generator, of function generator would work well at those frequencies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Since this is just a test, and since you are using audio frequencies, why not just use a standard audio function generator? If you really need a stable audio frequency, you might want to check out my DaqGen freeware. It generates audio frequency waveforms with your Windows soundcard. Frequency stability is excellent since it derives from the crystal in the sound card. And unlike a homebrew circuit, you can get low-distortion sine waves, or just about any other waveshape you can imagine. Then if your experiments uncover anything worth following up, you can always build a dedicated circuit when you know just what the ideal parameters are.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Hi Michael, this is completely off topic, but I have beeen trying to send an order to you over two weeks...is your email working..I am the guy from Australia.

Reply to
Al

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:46:07 +0000) it happened Eeyore wrote in :

In fact most analog PAL TVs will have a 8.86 MHz xtal. Makes it easier to get 90 degrees. As for the OP remark, makes no sense. If you want a one second tick, and for example have a FPGA on board, it is one line of verilog from a 50MHz xtal. Not much more lines of ASM in a PIC with a 20 MHz xtal. Depending on how much jitter is allowed you can make a nice synthesiser too in FPGA for many frequencies (higher the xtal too). And finally the color subcarrier... will likely not be needed much longer, its is all going digital, or at least Y Cr Cb, not composite.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Many useful frequencies from 20kHz on up are standard stock items at digikey. Less than a dollar for a standard value.

Custom ordering one is possible, but will typically be $100+ or so and will have a turnaround time measured in a week or two.

If you just want a square-wave oscillator there are many techniques (including user-programmable or distributor-programmable oscillator modules) that may do the job depending on your phase noise/jitter requirements.

If you want a sine wave oscillator there are numerically programmed direct digital synthesizers for a few bucks that do well for many (but not all) applications.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Thanks for response to my previous request. Followed each reply and still don't know how to make kHz tuning fork (as an electronic component). Queried Wikipedia for tuning fork.

by Meat Plow

- crystals in MHz frequency band avaliable only.

by Rich Grise

- binary counters

by Don Lancaster - Our lowest frequencies are 28.8 kHz, 108 kHz, 153.6 kHz, 250 kHz, 256 kHz, 307.2 kHz, 326.4 kHz plus hundreds of higher frequencies.

by whit.... For wristwatches, a tuning-fork is used, and one can micromachine it ..... from quartz and laser-trim its weighted tines for frequency and couple to it using the quartz material's piezoelectric properties. The typical resonators used for 5 kHz are tuning forks and guitar strings, or they aren't mechanical at all...

by Don Lancaster -

LXO OSCILLATOR

10 kHz to 2.1 MHz Low Power Crystal Oscillator but picture comes from 2.0 MHzCrystal Oscillator
clock oscillator only The characteristics of the 32.768 kHz model are presented in this data sheet. Are data sheets for lower frequencies also avaliable ?

by Bob Masta -

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

by Tim Shoppa- Digikey

Catalog Section D - Crystals and Oscillators unfortunately, frequency range is MHz notr kHz Quartz Crystals - ECS-31 Series is for kHz range p- lowest frequency is

32.000 32.768kHz Tuning Fork Crystals lowest frequency offered non-programmable oscillator is for 20.000 kHz.

So is there no chance to make, order a non-programmable oscillator for kHz band

5 kHz, 10 kHz or the like to test wireless energy transfer by Tesla ?

Mayby a small, home arranged lab could micromachine or laser-trim a tuning fork to meet my needs or should I give up the idea of ordering samples of tunning forks with frequenciec in kHz band of my interest.

Reply to
la-la

It seems you need a clock source at 5kHz / 10kHz / whatever. Just get an oscillator (or make your own with a crystal / tuning fork device / resonator) and divide it down.

I don't see anything difficult about that.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS