High current driver IC

Hello!

I need to drive LOTS (50+) of 12v 5w light bulbs from a microcontroller. I've been looking into several quad and octal transistor arrays and driver IC's, but they all seem to have a problem driving high currents when all outputs are used. I need a minimum of

500mA at each channel

Any suggestions? Or am i forced to use single mosfets?

Thanks in advance, LT

Reply to
larstore

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:c3364aca-3177-4a56-8bd5- snipped-for-privacy@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

Any chance of strobing (multiplexing) the outputs? That way you could use a higher voltage at high frequency so the output device sees a lower average current, and you can let the lamps integrate the pulsed supply so they see an average that is appropriate for them.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.comschrieb: "

http://85.21.193.200/pdf/INFIN/TLE6230.pdf

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Ruth

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Watch the wrap.

duct/power/transistorarray/tarray/tarray

MOSFET_Arrays/index.asp

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Hmm, I like the idea of using SPI to control the devices. This way i could use a lower pin count uC, and daisy chain several devices..

I am now looking at the Freescale MC33880

This way i could high-side switch 8 devices per chip. But im still not sure if it will handle 500mA on each output with all outputs enabled.. Any experiences?

Thanks, LT

mosfets?

Reply to
larstore

mosfets?

I suppose that you could always use 1.5 A or higher rated devices.

Possibly M63850P/FP from the first link or SLA4030 or SLA4070 from the second link. .

Reply to
JosephKK