Help needed - component source

I am building up an Elektor project pcb which calls for a pcb mount rca jack from Monacor International (part T-709G)

(To avoid problems with long url type the part number in the search window to see the part)

Unfortunately, there is no equivalent part having the same footprint from sources in Australia so I am asking for help to obtain the correct part from preferably from the UK (I have a relative visiting Surrey in the next month so they could pick it up or take delivery).

I want to avoid the need to use a panel mount item with connecting screened cable if possible. Monacor in Germany don't accept credit card payments for overseas purchases and the cost of direct payment into their bank account for such a small purchase is prohibitive.

If anyone can help with supplying a qty of 30 pcs let me know and how you would like payment.

(Reply direct via email if you can help)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Ross Herbert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

(Followup only, direct reply impossibe, X-News crashes repeatedly on trying)

Those look pretty feeble. :) As you need to make a hole anyway, and presumably make it very close to the board, is there any obstacle to soldering direct links up from the board using single-stranded wire? That would be easy to do, and you'd have a far stronger connector with a chassis mounted type.

I looked at the RS site in UK to see if they had PCB mounted phonos, and found just one, last in their results, by Neutrik, with a different footprint. Even Neutrik are hard-pressed to make one of those well, it's a very poor concept, and RS clearly don't give it priority. Almost any kind of workround will give better results than this desgn, as an RCA connector always needs some force to join, so any kind of chassis mount is well worth the effort.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

That looks like the same footprint as the plastic RCA jacks on a lot of VCRs and other consumer electronincs.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

like good

Reply to
karl

Thanks for all the replies.

Karl, is correct in that CPC Farnell have the correct item (Karl contacted me via email).

FarnellinOne, with whom I have a registration for on-line purchases in Australia don't have them, however.

CPC on-line purchasing is only available to UK registered users and the website doesn't allow me to register from Australia so I can't make a purchase on-line. I have sent a request to CPC asking for advice on how I can obtain their item CN00627.

Thanks aga>I am building up an Elektor project pcb which calls for a pcb mount

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Actually, they are quite robust. They are far better than the plastic bodied ones available from FarnellinOne and RS Components. As you note below these latter items have a different footprint so they are unsuitable.

I agree chassis mount is the strongest workaround and if I can't get the correct ones then that is what I will do. I don't anticipate that there will be frequent plugging and unplugging in these sockets so pcb mount types will be satisfactory.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Not so. ALL the plastic bodied ones I have seen and managed to track down on the web have a different footprint. I suspect that the item I am looking for is made by Technik Industrial Co. Ltd. as TRC-009

but they only supply oem quantities.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

The US Digi-Key catalog has a couple of _vertical_ mount jacks that might fit the same footprint. RCJ-021 through RCJ-027 will probably fit if you bend the center pin a bit. These parts only differ in insulator color.

RCJ-051 through RCJ-057 have a plastic block underneath them and might be a little more substantial, but they also have flat tabs instead of pins, which may require more circuit board rework:

The Digi-Key UK catalog does show stock on some of these parts.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Ross Herbert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If CPC is what I think it is (Combined Precision Components), they used to be a separate agency, selling to the trade for repair, usually custom parts for consumer audio and video, and they'd sell to anyone who asks. I don't know if they'd ship abroad though, or what payments they'll take. I think they were based in Preston, Lancashire.

That part does look like something made for a specific commercial run, so this might be the best way to try to get one. I think there is still a CPC that trades independently of Farnell. When I used to buy bits from them I just sent a cheque and they'd send me stuff in a padded bag with a paper order form in for next time. I don't know if UK postal orders can be bought in Australia, but if so, that might be the cheapest way, unless CPC use Paypal or equivalent.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I just had a reply from CPC and they will accept international credit card orders. I can get them landed here for about AUD1.80 ea including postage (qty 30 off).

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Ross Herbert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Great. :) They're pretty good for all kinds of stuff, so worth getting their catalog too, if they still do one outside the Farnell one (which is a nasty weight to be sending to Australia).

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

SNIP

Faxed off an order to CPC just now.....

For the amount of purchasing I do it wouldn't be worth the cost of getting a CPC catalogue sent out here. I think their on-line catalogue is quite good and I can make do with that. I do get the Australian RS Components catalogue and that is pretty hefty as well. I am not sure if Farnell still do an Australian catalogue but I haven't bought anything from them for years. RS usually have the components which I can't get from our usual electronics part suppliers such as Altronics, Jaycar etc, who generally have lower prices than RS or Farnell.

Sometimes, items from RS have been cheaper than from Altronics or Jaycar, but it is a fairly unusual occurrence.

Reply to
Ross Herbert