Electronic NST waveforms

Does anyone have any information or know a link on the specifications and characteristics high frequency electronic neon sign transformers? I have an unusual application where I need an AC square wave of around

3-4KV with a dwell time between the pulses. From looking at the limited specifications from some of these units it appears that is what they produce, but I can find no information on the actual peak amplitude vs their "rms" equivalent amplitude (they will not be the same if there is dwell time), on/off or dwell ratio, and method of current limiting (drop in voltage or reduction in "on" time). Also their specifications make no sense, for instance the one limited specification I could find claims that a 3 KV RMS unit has about a 4.5 KV peak to peak voltage, which is impossible, a square wave which would have the lowest ratio would be 6. KV peak to peak.

Thanks,

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Dudley

1) All modern electronic neon xfmrs i have seen have symmetrical output, that is, it is a CT output with the tap to ground. 2) The modern electronic neon xfmrs use switching for conversion of a rectified power line, so i expect that the output to be a squarewave; *no* "dwell" time engineered in. 3) All neon transformers have a design similar to CFL electronic supplies, in that they are designed for constant current; the high voltage is to "merely" break down the gas at start-up. Remember, once neon has been ionized, the voltage seen across it will be about 65V (am partly guessing, been a long time since i looked it up in the Chem Rubber Handbook of Chemistry and Physics). 4) If you really want to know, then take the transformer and sign *set* (yes, they are "matched") and a high voltage probe and look at one end.
Reply to
Robert Baer