Electrical Isolation of USB Data-lines

Hi volks,

I need a galvanic isolation of USB Datalines D+ and D- with speeds up to

2 Mbps (better: 5Mbps).

I thought about the Burr-Brown (TI) ISO150 bidirectional digital coupler. But with 80 Mbps it is rather slow considdering the 480Mbps USB

2.0.

So my questions are:

0.) Is this the right board or is there a better one? :-)

1.) Can I buy that? Or do I have to build it?

2.) What does USB 2.0 do when it is physically slowed down to 80 Mbps? (I don´t even want to know what bit-noise comes through the ISO150 when my PC tries to communicate with 480 Mbps...) 3.) Has somebody already tried to isolate USB Data Lines or similar fast bidirectional datalines? 4.) If I can use the ISO150, how can I derive the signal which sets the direction-mode of the Coupler from the datasignal? Unfortunately the ISO150 is bidirectional, but does not know by itself, when it has to switch to which direction...

I am happy with any suggestions :-)

Kind regards and greetings from Aachen, Fabian

Reply to
Fabian Kohler

There are a lot of off the shelf solutions to this.Look for 'opticis', who make fibre optic cable links. The normal method, is to have a USB hub chip at each end, which then gives access to the direction control line, allowing two seperate unidirectional transceivers to be used.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett