USB connector future

Hi everybody. I need to decide what kind of connector will go in our new handheld instrument. It is extremely tightly packed very expensive (connector cost is not an issue) analytical instrument . We've used Mini-USB so far. Micro-USB is smaller, it looks like it might phase Mini-USB out. It might die out as well. Which one would you use? Any opinions? Thank you!

Reply to
Michael

If you really are pressed for space, I think Micro-USB is OK. If not, I'd stick with Mini-USB -- I really don't think it's going to be phased out any time soon (i.e., in the next 5+ years), justas full-size USB connectors are still alive and well and readily available.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Michael wrote in news:1193322460.885522.287840 @k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

It depends on the size of the instrument, cost, and frequency of use.

for direct conenctino on the instrument, I'd choose a standard USB connector. If necessary, I'd use a proprietary non-standard connector or a dock.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Michael hath wroth:

Well, I have an observation based on various gadget repair data. When stressed (i.e. bent), the standard USB connector usually breaks inside the instrument. If board mounted, it's often fatal.

The mini-USB breaks at the metal projecting from the plug, leaving the receptacle in tolerable condition. The receptacle is often at the end of a ribbon cable, making replacement easy. Pulling on the cable usually disconnects before breaking anything. That's not the case with standard USB where the connector will break when the stiff cord is pulled.

I haven't seen any broken micro-USB devices, but my guess is that it will act much like the mini-USB but may bend where it hits the molded plug because it's so thin. They're also only guaranteed for 1000 insertion cycles, so connector lifetime might be an issue. All the newer cell phones are coming with micro-USB which may signal the demise of mini-USB. However, the newer digital cameras seem to arriving with mini-USB.

I would presonally prefer Mini-USB, but if your product is going to be sold for more than a few years, methinks Micro-USB would be a more long term solution.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I don't know what Mini-USB or Micro-USB are - the only USB I know of are, AFAIK, the "ordinary" ones, like the one that came with my camera, and that they've been using for ages on printers & stuff - I guess one end's an "A" connector (about 1/2" wide X 3/8" thick), and a "B" connector (about 1/4" wide X 1/8" thick). Well, I was curious how many leads are in that little bitty one, so I got out my magnifier, and Yikes! It looks like a Centronics for The Incredible Shrinking Man! The sucker has FOURTEEN CONTACTS! And they're the robust kind - you remember the Centronics, don't you? ;-)

I can't see that going obsolete any time soon.

But, just FMI, what are the others? (Mini-USB and Micro-USB, vs. "ordinary"?)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Lessee, you've never seen a mini or mico USB but you are sure they won't be obsolete soon! Sounds like typical Usenet advice to me!

Hey, my advice is if all possible to stick with a standard USB connector. I don't know how tiny your expensive instrument is but the size difference can't be THAT important compared to performance and obsolescence. The standard connector is ALREADY being re-vamped for USB 3. There are plans to include fiber optic in a connector that is completely backward compatible. It probably will be some time till mini and micro catch up if ever. Hint: Start with product performance and then work backward to things like connector size.

Reply to
Benj

There are plenty of products today where a full-sized USB connector simply won't fit -- cell phones and MP3 players are typical examples; they aren't thick enough!

Even Intel (the progenitor) doesn't expect USB peripherals until 2009 or 2010, and realistically I'd say 2011 is going to be more like it.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Maybe with that short lifetime involved, use a "tiered" connector system: a replaceable mini-USB "head" that looks like it is part of the package, but plugs into another connector inside (mini-USB if space is an issue). That way, one gets the equivalent lifetime of 1000*1000 cycles which is a goodly improvement.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I meant the one I was looking at, which AFAIK is "standard".

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Michael snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

The mini USB is very popular, it is used all over the place and is not going to dissappear soon. Micro USB does not have this kind market proof yet, i would not change yet.

Reply to
JosephKK

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Standard USB-A is around 7/16" wide, 3/16 thick Standard USB-B is around 1/4" high, 5/16" wide. I have no micro/mini USB to measure.

Your camera likely uses min-USB, or something proprietary (like my cmaera does, as that connector also doubles as the A/V out).

If it is a centronics like connector, it is not standard USB, but likely proprietary.

Reply to
Gary Tait