Color rings on diode

I saw color rings on the diode, which is yellow, brown , yellow and grey. I know this is simply a diode. what does the color means. Thanks

Reply to
mingyan_chow

mingyan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.hk schrieb:

The same as for resistor color coding: (1N) 4148 in this case.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

Makes perfect sense. It's a 1N4148.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

The more important question is: Were the rings (bands) all on one end scrunched together or spread out? If spread out, was there a black band you didn't tell us about?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

No black band. IN4148 exactly what it is. Good thinking. Thanks

Reply to
mingyan_chow

How do you know which end is the cathode?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

How does one know which end to start reading from?

Mike.

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

usually one band is larger then others and it marks the ... ( anode cathode ? I never, never remember the name of the N-side of the diode junction )

this band is the most significant digit in the code

1N4148 is: yellow ( larger band ) black yellow grey

P.S. I am not sure if japanese (1S.... ) diode coding is similar

Reply to
mmm

That is true, I believe this is some custome made component. Cause I couldn't find any colour coding diode in the market.

Reply to
mingyan_chow

It used to be popular with European component makers. I bought an ammo box of 5,000 Philips diodes once which were so marked.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany