Are graphite alkalines better than ordinary alkaline?

Are alkaline batteries with graphite generally longer lasting than alkaline batteries which do not have graphite?

I ask this because I see my local supermarket, Sainsburys in the UK, sells a range of "Extra Long Life Alkaline" with graphite as well as a cheaper "Long Life Alkaline" range.

But I can't find out much about the battery life this type of battery chemisty.

Reply to
Jon D

In short - nowadays it's mostly pointless. If you want long life under high load, go with NiMH.

If there are no numbers, then don't believe it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I suspect it's some sales gimmick AFAIK all Alkaline batteries contain graphite

Reply to
philo

The best thing to do is test them in some appliance that gives you fairly standard returns (my Psion 5mx was good at this for AA's).

My UK experience is that nothing beats IKEA's AA yellow alkaline batteries for cost/Ah. I'd say the same is true for AAA's, but I'm not sure for C or D cells.

Reply to
Dave

In that respect, what would be the fundamental performance difference between the usual carbon cathode and a graphite carbon cathode in a LeClanche (dry) carbon-zinc cell?

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

My area of expertise is with lead-acid batteries...

I don't know much (if anything) about zinc-carbon

Reply to
philo

The difference isnt with the cathode.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Didn't brass come later?

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

I responded to this earlier on the basis that ordinary dry cells use carbon rods as anodes (not cathodes). Is that true of alkaline cells? If not so, what is the graphite (or carbon) used for in alkaline cells?

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

With classic (+) current, its emitter is the cathode. (Sucks, doesn't it.) The diagram in my text shows a brass cathode and terminal for the alkaline; it lasts longer because of the better conductor. If grafite mush is in that end of the battery, it will also help, better than solid "carbon" or a plain solution. Did you know you can recharge primary cells?

Reply to
Autymn D. C.

They all have graphite. But I think your Sainsbury's battery might be a third-party oxyride . They're pretty good.

Reply to
zwsdotcom