battery cutoff thresholds

A remote control has an infrared LED through which quite a lot of current is pushed through, 0.5-1A in short pulses and bursts. The internal resistance of alkaline batteries is quite high and gets higher when the batteries become empty. The currents through the LED causes the voltage to drop too much, likely below the lower limit of the other electronics in the R/C.

NiCD rechargable batteries have a low resistance during most of their useful charge, and are better suited to high current applications like electric drills.

Jeroen

Reply to
Jeroen

To get the most out of non-rechargeable batteries what should the design cutoff voltage be ? According to the battery manufactures, the useful energy supply from a battery can go low as 0.8V per cell for a alkaline and dry cells. But all battery powered devices I've come across, like remote controls seem to stop working around the 1.1 to 1.3V range. Is this poorly designed electronics ?

I'm building a battery powered device that will consume 5V @ 4mA. At constant current drain, I can get nearly same life from a 9V battery with cutoff at 5V compared to 4 x AA batteries with a cutoff at 5V.

Reply to
Adam. Seychell