2N3055

Going through my stash to sort what stays and what goes... I have two

2N3055s, they are heavier than other TO-3 transistors, mostly because the base plate is twice as thick (~2mm). They are marked as PMC. Anyone have any input? I'd say "real" based on the extra material and heft. Oh, and I'm not able to test electrically anymore, downsizing my lab, you see. (going digital!)
Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com Inscribed thus:

Probably due to the all copper case !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Nobody uses those dinosaurs anymore. We have proper FET technology. Unless you collect spareparts for antique electronics, bin them..

Reply to
Morten Leikvoll

Morten Leikvoll Inscribed thus:

Dinosaurs or not, I wouldn't knock the value of the copper scrap in them !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Ah, but some of us do use these 'dinosaurs' to repair vintage equipment.

John :-#)#

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

So what's the question? You've made statements, haven't said what you want to know.

Two transistors are pretty minor, especially if you've tossed even rudimentary test equipment. So either keep the transistors because there are only two of them, or toss them because you clearly won't be using them, not when you no longer have test equipment.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Somewhere I vaguely remember seeing a design for a sort of hot plate based on a 3055 for keeping a mug of coffee hot.

Reply to
Ian Field

The 2N3055 5VDC pass-regulator (heatsink assembly), as used in the 1980 video game Galaga, would keep your tea or coffee warm if not hot...

John :-#)#

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

The one I'm thinking of was published specifically as a mug heater.

Probably something along the lines of a temperature controlled current source into a short circuit.

Probably the best thing to do with a 3055 these days.

Reply to
Ian Field