VP2450 Spice Model

I'm behaviorally modeling a _system_ that includes the discrete device Supertex VP2450.

At the Supertex/Microchip site, it says no Spice model available :-)

Does anyone know of a model?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Why not just use some similar part that you have a model for? That mosfet is not at all unusual, and they are not precision parts anyhow.

That's what I usually do for vanilla diodes, transistors, or mosfets: pick something close that LT Spice already has. Exotica, like phemts or depletion fets or jfets, justify more exact models.

Or, if you really want a VP2450 model, pick a similar mosfet model and tweak the params.

 Click to see the full signature

500V PMOS

The problem is nailing the GBW product of this monster. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Spice models of semiconductors rarely include breakdown voltage. LT Spice is happy to run a 1N4148 at -100 kilovolts.

That part is not avalanche rated, so don't let the drain voltage hit -500.

As I said, pick something close. The GBW won't be precise anyhow. Your circuit should have a lot of tolerance for fet capacitances and such.

Hey, you are supposed to be the model creation guru, so create a model.

 Click to see the full signature

Takes data to make a model. That is lacking, and the customers measurements are suspect. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I suppose one could insert the "BV" parameter in a existing model, that is, if the model being used has that.

If you use a VDMOS, you can apply the BV Vds(Break down voltage) Oh well.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

I'm behaviorally modeling a _system_ that includes the discrete device Supertex VP2450.

At the Supertex/Microchip site, it says no Spice model available

Does anyone know of a model?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

I haven't found many of Supertex's models to converge well, or even seem to replicate the part very well. Sometime they'd supply something with text that 'looked' like a .cir file, Had to check all the default prarameters and then 'correct' the forms, but that was a few years ago.

Do you have this one? the VN2450.

*
  • SEPTEMBER 24, 2001
*
  • COMPOSITE MODEL FOR VN2450
  • .SUBCKT VN2450 1 2 3 4
*
  • NODE 1 = DRAIN
  • NODE 2 = GATE
  • NODE 3 = SOURCE
  • NODE 4 = BODY
  • MOS1 11 2 3 4 NE_DMOS L=3.0E-06 W=58E-3 JFET 1 3 11 JMOD 1 DBODY 4 1 DMOS R 1 11 1E+6
  • .MODEL NE_DMOS NMOS
  • LEVEL=3 UO=240 VTO=2.527 NFS=7.448e+11
  • TOX=5e-08 NSUB=3.59e+15 NSS=0 VMAX=1e+06
  • RS=1 RD=1e-06 RSH=5000 CGDO=3.12e-09
  • CGSO=2.5e-09 CGBO=0 CJ=8e-11 CJSW=0
  • MJ=0.5736 MJSW=0.33 IS=6.472e-13 PB=1.2
  • FC=0.5 XJ=1e-05 LD=0 DELTA=0
  • THETA=0 ETA=1e-06 KAPPA=1e-06
  • .MODEL DMOS D
  • IS=12e-12 N=1.218 RS=10
  • BV=500 IBV=1.0e-3 TT=1e-6
  • CJO=60e-12 VJ=1.2 M=0.5736
  • .MODEL JMOD NJF
  • VTO=-10 BETA=8.872e-3 IS=1e-12
  • RD=10 LAMBDA=0 .ENDS
Reply to
RobertMacy

I didn't see it anywhere in the 35MB of Alex Bordodunov's models, but he might have one. Did you email him?

Reply to
RobertMacy

I am no model expert, let alone understanding some of the spice parameters that are not even seen in the data base models, but I came up with this using supertex PDF file, as vague as it was. Lots of items not specified in it and some that are, I don't see where to apply them in spice, because like I said, I ain't no model expert.

I ran this using their test jig and the charts to do some compares.

.model VP2450 VDMOS(pchan Rg= 3 Rd=15 Rs=15 Vto=-2.0 BV=-500 Kp=320 Cgs=190p Is=1e-30 CgdMax= 75p)

There are items missing for the body diode for capacitance etc..

Then I apply it in an inductive test app and seems to look ok.

Oh well.

Jamie

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

.model VP2450 VDMOS(pchan Rg= 3 Rd=15 Rs=15 Vto=-2.0 BV=-500 Kp=320 Cgs=190p Is=1e-30 CgdMax= 75p)

Ahmm.... Is is a tad small, and may cause convergence problems. A 1uX1u diode junction will be of the order of < 1e-18, usually

Bigger discrete devices might be hitting 1e-15, or thereabouts

Kevin Aylward B.Sc.

- SuperSpice

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

A published model I found had AD, AS=1. Scratched butt, guesstimated

1u, it then simulated OK. ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

True, but like I said, I am not an expert at this but, the PDF for the component claims a -1.8V forward drop on the body diode, if you can believe that, unless I misunderstood something..

So at 100mA 1e-30 31 was hitting close to home after running some sims and comparing values.

Maybe some one else can get it closer..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Hmm. Silicon is silicon. It's still going to turn on around 0.6V -- it would be amazing physics otherwise. That would suggest ESR around

1.2V/100mA = 12 ohms max. I forget if the MOS model includes RD/RS parameters, but these can be added externally if not. IS can then be specified based on leakage and lower current behavior (it should be fairly "ideal diode" under 10mA).

Not much to say about one datapoint unfortunately. And it's a maximum, not typical, and certainly not plotted. How lazy. Probably a good idea measuring a few.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

They possibly made the 101 error of not setting N in exp(Vbe/Vt.N) to its correct value, from its default of 1, or possibly they set the diode resistance incorrectly.

For example, to model LEDs, N might be 2.5. to get the several volts that it has.

"Is" is the reverse leakage current of a diode. No way is it 1e-30 amps!

Kevin Aylward B.Sc.

- SuperSpice

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Ok.

.model VP2450 VDMOS(pchan Rg= 3 Rd=5 Rs=9 Vto=-2.0 BV=-500 N=2.3 Kp=

320 Cgs=195p CgdMax=75p)

I think there as a reason where there is no model out there for this.

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.