Stop OrCAD from changing registry?

Hello,

Is there any way to stop OrCAD Capture from changing the registry?

It seems convinced that I should open all of my HDL files with a schematic capture program. I think a text editor, simulator, or synthesizer would be a better choice, but no, it re-assigns all those file extensions every time it starts.

Thanks In Advance.

Reply to
ghelbig

Sure... figure out which entries it's changing (use, e.g., RegView to find out which entries it is, although for something like file associations this probably isn't necessary and just browsing the registry or using Google will suffice), right-click the branch or entry in question in RegEdit, select "Permissions" and remove everything but "read" access for your user account (or whatever "scope" you need).

ORCAD is pretty poor by modern standards; Cadence has let it wither, which is rather sad given what a great program it once was.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hmmm... that is odd.

The only time Orcad does the registry association thing is when it is installed. It shouldn't do anything like that when you just run the program. It sounds like you are trying to change it to something else, but are doing it in a way that doesn't stick...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Uhhhh? OrCAD SDT was pretty good. Then they tried their own "Windows" gimmick in DOS, and it's been down-hill ever since.

Cadence will execute the coup de gras... not on purpose, just by ineptness, and they're close to killing PSpice.

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

Have you found your preferred replacement (for PSpice) yet? As I recall you had plenty of "suitors!"

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Still considering.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

You can change file association in Windows Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|File Types.

Reply to
qrk

LTSpice is IMHO rather good. For the rest my simulator is a blue cube with a power switch and a temperature dial ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, I can change it. Problem is, OrCAD changes it right back!

Charlie - OrCAD C(r)apture is definitely the culprit. I set the file associations for ".vhd" and ".v" to "emacs", and after I run C(r)apture, they are set to "capture.exe".

The ability to set permissions on key entries is missing since I let XP install the last set of updates.

Argh, G.

Reply to
ghelbig