SPICE on entered schamatic(s)

Does WHAT?

...Jim Thompson

LTSpice. Download from Linear Technology. Cost: free. Is that cheap enough? Has all the latest Linear Tech opamps. You can add your own devices to the library.

Mark

Reply to
qrk

Any cheap systems that does that? With (relatively) modern op-amps?

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you mean push a button and Spice runs on the schematic you've just created then you've been using Spice on Unix Mainframes (with text command files) too long.

Most of the PC versions of Spice do that nowadays.

This group has mentioned free and other versions. LTSpice does that.

If this is not what I had to fire up my crystal ball to figure out what you were talking about then blame it on the cheap crystal balls nowadays.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I take it that LTSpice is low cost or free; lets me create a schematic and runs SPICE on the schematic. And what if the libraries do not have the op-amp you want to use? Can one use others (like the old DOS versions of SPICE does)? Could you name a few of the others; i am on POTS and downloading 10 megs or more is simply not practical. I am willing to pay for a CD (hat is how i get versions of NetScape).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Robert Baer

LTSpice is just our pet name for it, it is called LTSwitcherCAD, or something like that.

As I understand it, the program is funded as a marketing tool for LT's switching regulator division, but it is really an extremely full feature spice simulator with switching regulator extensions.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

It seems that Linear Technology does not have LTSpice available for download. Furthermore the only version available seems to be exclusively for switchers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

SwitcherCad is LTSpice, certainly aimed at their line of switcher-chips, but with more general Spice libraries and capabilities bundled in.

I downloaded it with a 28k8 modem, (at British Telecom's, pay_through_the_nose connection charges), and the cost was trivial compared with the value of LTSpice.

Stop wavering. Download it. You won't regret it.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Chuck,

The "official" name is LTspice/SwitcherCAD III. There was once an edict to change the name simply to LTspice, which is the name I prefer but I didn't want to lose the name recognition of "SwitcherCAD", so both LTspice and SwitcherCAD III are intended to be synonyms. BTW, the "III" did not come from the "3" in SPICE3. It was the third major piece of the sales collateral called "SwitcherCAD". Also, the preferred case is LTspice, not LTSpice. It's a trademark. I'm not interested in hearing how messy this all is -- it's what happens to get the thing funded.

Maybe I should bow to an example from the music industry and change the name to some unpronounceable symbol. Then we'd have "The Simulator Formerly Known as Either LTspice or SwitcherCAD III."

Regards,

-- Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

I'll call it anything you like for such a low cost (free) quality tool.

Thanks for your efforts.

Robert

Reply to
Robert