PWL: Data Reduction

Doesn't tell me a lot... more thought required :-( ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Pondering... can you do an A-to-D in Excel? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

The data is already digital...discrete samples to be more accurate. However, if you "merge" the three "incoming" channels (columns), and make/create/calculate sample times for each point, then the result will be a jittery sampling of the overall incoming waveform (the D part of the A-D) if i interpret your initial query correctly. X-Y scatter plot that and let Excel "draw" its "approximation" or "average" curve. You might even be able to get Excel to figure and show the error bands for grins. Do not know if one then can "sample" that "average" curve at regular intervals or not. But, all data points can drop into a Fourier transform (courtesy of VB) and that should show the main components with the "fuzz" or error bands being "in the mud" so to speak. Do a dB snip and an inverse Fourier on the results for a cleaned waveform?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Your point-by-point (aka connect-the-dots :-) works pretty good.

Digging thru all the various stuff I've saved from here, I came across a 2-year-old post by "The Phantom" suggesting...

(1) Take derivative (easy enough to do with almost any Spice) (2) Make a step approximation to that (3) The step break-points are the break-points from which to collect data.

General question, can (2) be even steps, or is there a more subtle way to fit?

Is the "The Phantom" still in residence? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

The derivative method seems to work pretty good.

One failing in my PSpice "tool" is that I'm watching only the LSB of my ideal A-to-D.

Any ideas on how to watch 6-bits (broadside) for _any_ change. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Jim Thompson schrieb:

Hello,

I would use a software which can handle the 1000 data points in each data column.

Not every data set can be reduced from 1000 to 100 data points with loosing significant information.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Aha! A Non-solution. I can't choose the end-use software. It was developed by an IEEE committee... need I say more :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Idealized Expectations of Electrical Engineers? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ignorant Engineers "Engineering" Emetically ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

That explains Sloman's IEEE E-mail address. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell