Protel99SE - no vias at pads

hi! can anybody tell me, where i can define in protel99se, that the autorouter places no vias at pads? i=B4d like to design a 2-layer layout to solder by hand. so there must not be vias directly at pads of components. because i can=B4t solder them on the toplayer...=20

many thanks in advance!!

Reply to
Christoph

In my experience, Protel does not place vias in pads - any CAD system that did would be seriously flawed.

You can create your own component footprints that have pads only on the bottom layer - then the autorouter will be forced to connect to them on the bottom layer.

(By the way - you can route your board manually if you wish - then you have full control of how you connect to component pads, and where vias are placed.)

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

This isn't true. There are plenty of PCB manufacturers and board builders out there who are perfectly capable of dealing with "via in pad" designs; being able to utilize such a feature can produce noticeable improvements in signal integirty as well as board density.

That being said, I've never seen a PCB system that couldn't be set to keep vias out of pads, since it is the more traditional/lower tech way of doing things.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You mean you don't want a PTH don't you ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

thanks, for your answers...!

okay - to create footprints without "toplayer-pads" - that would be an idea!

@graham: no, i=B4d like to create a PTH

Reply to
Christoph