Old pcb > new art?

Solved it. Just got off the phone with my friendly Altium tech guy and he suggested simply converting the pdf of the board art into a black and white bitmap, then using the logo importer script to bring it into a new pc board on a mechanical layer. Place tracks and pads over the placed art, and Bob's your uncle.

Functionally the same as suggested we do in PCB, w/o the need to change operating systems. However, it does fall into my darn lap to do the work for the guy because he certainly isn't going to buy and learn Altium Designer for this one board.

-- mike elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

PCB runs on Windows, Mac, and Unix. What operating system would you have to switch from? OS/2?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

You'd think this would be better publicized by the ECAD vendors whose wares can do it.

*-applications-transparent+put-TraxMaker-in-front-*-*+set-TraxMaker's-opacity-to-around-145+zzz+easy-to-see-in-photoshop+They-are-highlighted-when-traced

Reply to
JeffM

Logo importer script? Is this new since Protel99SE? I've wanted to do this very thing on several occasions, and always had to regenerate the logo freehand...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Did I mis-read the earliest responses to my OP? The thread took an immediate turn to gEDA / Knoppix & dual-booting to Linux. It was all geek-speak to me, gave me the distinct impression that PCB wasn't a Windows app and needed some fancy OS jiggery-pokery for my friend with the pcb scan, a CPA with less knowledge of OS's than I (if that is possible), to run. If I misunderstood all that (which I apparently did, not surprising since I know nothing about playing with OS's) then I apologize!

-- mike elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

*-applications-transparent+put-TraxMaker-in-front-*-*+set-TraxMaker's-opacity-to-around-145+zzz+easy-to-see-in-photoshop+They-are-highlighted-when-traced

Maybe they consider it to be a trivial capability, primarily suited to importing a company's logo. I bet that it's a rare day when someone needs to trace over an old board.

-- mike elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

I dunno when it was added - I jumped from Protel 3.x to AD6.3. In AD one can look under File > Import, and they provide a Logo Creator script in their script examples. Also see

You can also go register at altium.com to join the user forum. Lot of 99 questions there.

-- mike elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

Though I don't use MS for anything at all, as I understand it, gEDA can be built on windows using an interface layer. As far as the user/installer is concerned, it just works.

-Chuck Harris

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

Not so much "mis" as "miss".

Yup. A *solution* was offered.

Here's where "miss" comes in:

*-*-*-progress-since-then DJ pointed out that getting gEDA onto a Windoze box is now even easier than my ancient link indicates (though he was chincy with the details).

"Open Source Software 101: The Real Beauty of the Concept"

*-platform+OR+any-operating+OR+any-*-operating+-any-Unix&num=100

"Open Source Software 201: Making Unix Apps Work Under Windoze"

Stuart offered the coolest solution EVER for how a Windoze user can get gEDA working on his box WITHOUT **INSTALLING** A SINGLE THING.

If you are bandwidth-challenged, these folks will ship you a disk for $2:

It appears you have been in hibernation for several years and have missed one of the coolest things to come down the pike:

Another example of such a bootable CD (which allows Linux to save Windoze users' butts): Emergency Boot CD

It gets around the broken-by-design nature of NTFS

--as supplied by M$ (think: Klein flask). http://66.102.9.104/images?q=Klein-bottle

Reply to
JeffM

Because I've never done it myself. Dan has, and he maintains the build script for Windows.

Same for OS/X. I've gotten email saying it "just works" but I've never done it myself.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Some video cards, e.g., those from nVidia, contain a feature in their driver that will let you change the opacity of any window on a Windows 2000 or XP box; I imagine there are standalone utilities to do this as well. (I mean... we really are talking about a simple OS function call here to create the opacity "feature" -- it's just a question of whether the application calls it itself or some other program slightly hi-jacks the window to do it...)

Agreed.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hey. You callin' me a /sissy/?