P-Channel MOSFET for logic level drive

There aren't many logic-level p-types to choose from. Supertex has a few. Spehro Pefhany suggested the IRF7425, which has 13 mill-ohms Rds(on) (max) at -2.5V, 8.5 mill-ohms at 4.5 volts. It's in an SO-8 package, about 85 cents US in 100's.

What are you looking for?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Fairchild FDV304P comes to mind.

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Screw the MOS Fet, use a 2n3906 pnp transistor...

(See rs232 circiut in lower left)

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

Why don't you want to use a PNP BJT?

The BSS84 is one p-channel part spec'd at 5V.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Zetex also makes some PMOS in TO92 with

Reply to
Chris Carlen

Can anyone recommend a small P-channel MOSFET suitable for 5V logic level gate drive?

This is for an RS232-port-powered RS232 data output signal from a PIC. Source will go to +5V, gate to a PIC output, and the drain is resistively pulled-down to a negative rail. I did this years ago, but I can't remember what MOSFET I used. Farnell don't seem to specify any of their P-channel MOSFETs as being for logic level drive.

TIA Andrew.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Hello Spehro,

Yes, less cost.

One of my favorite parts but only if it really has to be a FET.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Andrew,

Then Spehro's suggestion (BSS84) should be the ticket. It's cheap.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It's a one-off hobby project (GPIB-->RS232 using PIC16F84). Up to a few ohms would not be a problem for Rds(on), since the pull-down will be at least 1k. Package wise, I would prefer not to go surface mount, but I can handle them if necessary. I'll look at the IRF7425. Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Yes, I could do. I was thinking of saving the base current, but then I suppose it'll only be micro-amps.

Thanks, I'll look at that part.

Reply to
Andrew Holme