Homemade PCB Plotter

I'm interested in building a PCB ink resist plotter. Photo resist is expensive, and I have about 50 copper clad boards. What kind of CNC plotting software is available for Linux? Will I be stuck writing my own primitive software? Although not exactly dealing with electronics, how should I move the pen? Linear gear/belt/wheel? I think the entire workpiece will move down for the Z axis, and the pen will move for the X and Y axis, but I'm not exactly sure how to cheaply move the workpiece by motors.

Reply to
Jeremy Samuels

First thing to decide is what accuracy and precision you need. Well funded design teams spent decades constructing mechanical systems with the required accuracy, lack of backlash, lack of system mechanical resonances etc. Sounds simple, but there's a lot of magic in there.

Find yourself a surplus flat-bed plotter. I use a TEK 4662. Any software will output gerber. You can easily write a gerber translator that drives the plotter. My 4662 has served me well until recently when I tried to do a TQFP64-1001 chip. Can't seem to corece the software to route on the

5mil grid that is the best the plotter can do. Roundoff error is killing me.

mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

Join this Yahoo group:

Several people there have done that sort of thing.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

In article , Jeremy Samuels writes

Re the software part ...

Vutrax for Linux (as well as Windows) can natively output to many vector driven devices including HPGL (Hewlett Packard Pen plotters), Gerber 274X (automatic aperture allocation) or photoplot with user specified apertures including construction of all items from a single 'aperture', Housten Instrument pen plotters, 'Excellon' CNC drilling and Milling assorted formats. Full control of scaling and orientation (including mirroring) can be applied. Vutrax can be used for schematic entry, routing and PCB layout or for simple manual layouts. Visit either of

(Main UK site for Vutrax CAD)
(Central Europe Mirror) to download the 256 pin evaluation/free version.

--
Roy Battell.
    To use this address remove the digits included to remove Spam ...

Unless you want to do it for fun, don't. You won't save money. You can get files converted to films cheaply, and even board making is rather cheap. Board stock isn't a significant component of the cost.

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle