Feedback on demo

Hi Everyone, I have created a demo of our electronic design application. I am looking for some feedback/constructive criticism of the demo, particularily parts that are not clear the first time you watch them. I have watched the thing so many times that it's hard to tell. You can watch the demo here

Regards, Andrew Ward.

Reply to
Andrew Ward

It was taking too long on my dialup, and I have no idea what it is I am downloading. It would help to have a brief description, and maybe some small screen shots, so I know a bit more and have something to read while the demo is loading. I assume it's a windows movie of some sort, or maybe Powerpoint?

Paul E. Schoen

Paul E. Schoen

Yup. The totality of text associated with the page:

What the page looks like with the Oh-ain't-I-so-cool crap stripped out: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:XKVb3xskAmoJ:

The page was obviously constructed by an idiot who thinks that everyone has bandwidth to burn and that everyone is willing to buy a pig in a poke.

It's been said before: If you can't easily get in the front door, you can bet the rest is crap.

A good read for all wanna-be Web designers:

JeffM

Thanks for your comments Paul. Normally someone would access the demo from the link on the bottom of the home page

so they would know at least a little about what they were about to watch. It is a Macromedia Flash demo, and I think it downloads to 60% in the browser before starting. Basically the demo runs through our application, showing how you can watch/debug a digital circuit while it is running inside the FPGA. You can of course read about this on the website, but I think it needs a demo to really get the message across because it is something that has not been available before in digital logic design, so it would be easy for someone to miss the point.

Reply to
Andrew Ward

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:XKVb3xskAmoJ:

According to Google Analytics, only 11% of people visiting our site have dialup and 77% have either cable/dsl or corporate bandwidth. So if I can give those 77% a better understanding of the product through a Flash demo, then I think its a good idea.

Reply to
Andrew Ward

I waited about 10 seconds with my 2Mb ADSL, saw that it had only loaded

15%, and gave up. Not even a hint about what your product actually is, so why should I wait?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Greetings,

My two cents, no refunds:

I suspect that at least 77% of your site's visitors also have a kidney that they could do without, but that doesn't mean they're visiting your site so as to be able to waste it away, too.

1) "Flash demo" and "good idea" in the same sentence: is any further comment necessary? 2) Let's be brutally honest: if you can't create enticing text to describe your product, why do you suppose you have the capability of producing a Flash movie that will? Possibly, it might work on the unwashed masses , but hurling a Flash movie at we members of the intelligentsia is no way to win friends and (favorably) influence people. 3) If you knocked on my door, and I immediately opened the door and proceeded to ignore you whilst I set up my AV equipment so I could show you a documentary about me, would you consider that a "good idea"? 4) With "ActiveX controls and plug-ins" disabled in IE, your web site is a totally blank screen. Is that also a good idea? 5) I have DSL, and I gave up at "12%".
Reply to
Richard Kanarek

77%

I have DSL.

I hate blinky/bouncy crap and spyware.

I don't go to a web site so the designer can play games on my screen. I run with cookies, javascript, and flash disabled.

You can provide a lot of information with simple text. I like pictures within reason.

These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to
Hal Murray

Sorry, my original posting should have mentioned that you could look at the home page

to first find out about what the demo would be about.

Reply to
Andrew Ward

Even though you've had several replies saying it takes much to long to download you insisted that it was worth waiting for so I became really curious. I waited 5 minutes for it to get to 60% and start(I'm on an Internet backbone so the bottleneck is your end)..

I got to page 6 and got really bored. You showed how to drive the schematic which is not even slightly unique.

I strongly suggest that it takes less than 20 seconds to start and that you are showing unique things by page 3 at the most.

Colin (who is no longer at all curious)

Reply to
colin_toogood