External Back-up Drive Recommendations

It is a limitation of the OS itself. It sees USB drives the same way it sees IDE or SCSI drives, and limits you to one type of file system. The LAN uses networking protocols, and the drive type is transparent because the computer converts the data before sending, and after receiving. If it wasn't, the internet and most other networks wouldn't work, unless every computer was the same OS.

I have a pair of "Mad Dog Multimedia MD-AEN350USB2 USB2.0 USB drive enclosure" that I use to work on computers On has a FAT32 drive, the other has a NTFS drive. The computers don't recognize it if you use the wrong file type.

They were about $25 each, and have used 30 to 40 GB drives in them that I had salvaged from a pair of dead computers.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then I put up the old redneck sign: "Our Rottweiler can make it across

7dB in four seconds. Can you?"
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Mine is "Trespassers Will Be Violated" ;-)

I also just added a little placard above the doorbell that seems to have stopped solicitors dead in their tracks...

"Solicitors Must Have Phoenix Solicitation Permit Visible Before Ringing Doorbell"

"Otherwise You Are Subject to Citizen's Arrest"

From my office with a view of the sidewalk, I see them approach, then walk away without ringing the doorbell ;-)

...Jim Thompson

What happened to your "Trespassers Will Be Prostituted" sign?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't remember that one. Maybe it was John Fields ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

"John Ferrell" Wrote: Subject: Re: External Back-up Drive Recommendations Date: Thursday, January 18, 2007 11:41 AM

Personally, I have used XXCLONE (

) to back up my computer and it was able to make a complete copy to a USB drive that was sitting on another computer.

This resulted in a duplicate disk, and I made it a bootable copy so that I could replace my original drive in my working computer if it breaks.

It handled the different size hard disks, so you may want to give it a go. Since this is my personal computer at home, I used the freeware version. I'm tempted to buy it to back up the work computes too..... Cheap, but works nicely, I like it.

Jim Pennell

--

11:56 Pacific Time Zone
Jan 21 2007

International Time
19:56 UTC
21.01.2007
Reply to
Jim

C'mon, you don't have memory loss, do you? What was the story with the solicitors that you wanted to never show up again and you changed your "clothing" before opening the door?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

There was never a "sign", just a dropped towel ;-)

...Jim Thompson

How long does it take you to make a sign with your computer and printer? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Next to zero. Print on 8½ x 11 paper with laserjet, run thru heat-type laminator, hang on hook above doorbell.

...Jim Thompson

I have a 17" x 11" sign in my office that says, "An empty desk is a sign of a disturbed mind."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

"N's" is, "A neat kitchen is a sign of a deranged mind" ;-)

Also... "I'm allergic to mornings"

Mine is... "Work is best viewed from a distance" ;-)

Over my office door is a carved wooden plaque... "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you".

And, of course there's, " Insanity is hereditary... you catch it from your kids" ;-)

And seen around here on the bumpers of RV/motor-homes... "I'm spending my children's inheritance".

...Jim Thompson

I probably have one of those somewhere.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Wife's is, "I've been in a bad mood since the house fell on my sister."

"I love work. I can sit and watch it all day."

Recently seen; "Some day's you're the dog - some days you're the hydrant.=3F

:=3FHaving Children is hereditary... Chances are if your parents didn=3Ft have any...=3F

My favorite with a local flavor: =3FMoonlight in Vermont... Or STARVE.=3F

--
  Keith
Reply to

But, the "I'm allergic to mornings" needs to have the original Snoopy looking like the morning after New Years to be really effective!

(I had that up on my wall my first year of college. at NMMI... )

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

"Today's Menu, Choice of two: Take it, or leave it."

"And afternoons give me a rash" ;-)

A clean bench is a sure sign of impending downsizing."

"We all have our bears to cross!"

"Get even! Spoil the grand kids early, and often!" ;-)

That one is all over the place, around here. Mostly from "The Villages".

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida