"Algebraic" IF Statement Evaluation

I need to evaluate...

IF(t,1,0) (If t is true, output 1, if t is false, output 0 (numeric), t may be something like V11 >= 7, for example)

BUT I have no IF statement handling capability at this level of a simulation.

I do have algebraic capability.

Is there some cute way to do this algebraically?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is Tyranny." - attributed to Thomas Jefferson by his contemporaries

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

X=int(V11/7) X/X

Reply to
qrus19

gah! messed that up :S

Reply to
qrus19

For your example, V11>=3D7:

(abs(V11-7))/(V11-7) will be +1 for V11>7, -1 for V11

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

t=X/X

This will sorta work, but if x is 0 then you'll probably get errors, to a human it's the 0/0 = 1 thing not having used your emulator I can't be sure what'll happen of how to treat an error like this.

Reply to
qrus19

I don't have INT available, I do have ABS and some trig functions

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

That's what I came up with, except I inserted a small "delta" (smaller than my step size) to avoid 0/0. I was hoping for something more compact :-(

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

Do you have a unit step function (u(x)) available?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

I don't have function SGN :-(

...Jim Thompson

 Stormy on the East Coast today... due to Bush\'s failed policies.

(1+sgn(V11-7))/2 ?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

y = V11 -7

(abs(y) + y)/(2*y)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

P.S. If you want avoid awkward situations very near y == 0 you could do

(abs(y) + y)/(2* abs(y) + e)

where e is a very small positive number

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

are there any operators or functions that can give a different mumeric result depending on the truth of the input.

many systems have false as 0 and true as 1 (or less common -1)

else maybe something like (sgn( sgn(V11-7) *2 +1 ) + 1 ) /2

Reply to
Jasen Betts

ABS has an intrinsic "if" that can do it. Spehro showed the method.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Use PostScript for your simulation, of course.

with t on stack, {1}{0} ifelse

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to