20 Ga. Wire

Hello everyone,

I have to make jumper pads for 20 Ga wire jumpers. The spec for the wire is 32 mils ( .812mm). Should I just go one size larger (18 Ga..

40 mil) or larger?

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Robert-

Thank you!

Reply to
Ivan

As a rule of thumb, I just up the diameter from 25% to 50%... With 50% being used on small wires, and 25% on large wires.

Don't just add a fixed amount of oversize because on larger wires you will find they are too tight to rework, and smaller wires the parts are too loose.

-Chuck

Ivan wrote:

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Always leave at least 5 mils minimum of "slop"; 2 mils for hole tolerance and 3 mils for easy insertion (or removal if rework is needed). 40 mils is fine.

Reply to
Robert Baer