Zilog Z8 Encore XP help

Hi Mark, My friend who also got one of the Encore XP 8-pin kits had all the same problems with the USB cable as you. I'm not 100% sure of what he did to correct it, but he also wasted a lot of time. So far it looks like I'm the only person who hasn't had major problems making it work. I've been reading through the documentation of the Encore XP series and it looks like a micro worth persevering with... even if it runs on

3.3V. I suppose the good thing is that it could be powered by a pair of torch cells. :)

Regards, Bob

Mark Harriss wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Ok Bob: the final solution for me was to get into my motherboard BIOS and set it to USB 1.1 from 2.0 and it all worked fine from there on in. If I had to suspect something I would say it's the motherboard drivers, I also flashed a new copy of the motherboard BIOS as the maker mentioned a USB locking up fix in the BIOS but that didn't help in this case.

I don't have any other USB 2.0 peripherals to see if it's a problem with the computer.

Regards Mark (

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Hope you didn't pay more than $9.95US for the kit:

Just noticed it on Sonars front page. I know Zilog have always had some of the cheapest dev kits going around, but this time they are practically giving them away. Guess it's obvious why!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

For what you get, at that price it's a steal! Yesterday I installed the Zilog software on my work PC (the new 3GHz P4 which was bought in desperation to try and make Protel 99SE behave), and I had no problems getting the USB driver loaded and running the Zilog Development Suite. I'm just sorry that Mark's having so much trouble with the one he bought. He did later say that he found the jumper setting documentation. From looking at the included schematic, it's not hard to work out what the jumpers do and how they need to be set up. :) I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with that tiny feature-packed 4K micro- when I finally get time.

Regards Bob

"David L. Jones" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Hi all

For what it is worth, I just got my Z8 & took me a while to get it to communicate with the PC. I accidently found it worked immediately after switching on the board (D1 PA2 on steady). It did not communicate with the PC while the demo program was running. It appears to work on both USB1 & 2 although I can't get it to work as yet on a USB2 PCMCIA card in an IBM Thinkpad I have J2,J4, J7 in. Others are in the DEMO position

--
Regards

Chopper
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chopper

Hi Mark

I did note that, but I found it still worked with them in. Still coming to grips with it. Lot more involved than a picaxe08 (which I've also just started to play with)

BTW noticed date sent 17/06/2005 @ 3:19PM. What time zone are you in??

--
Regards

Chopper
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chopper

If you look at the schematic you'll see the best settings for the jumpers: I have j3 out and j6 out so the don't interfere with j4 and j7 respectively.

regards Mark

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Hi Guys, yes it was AUD $16 landed on my doorstep and I can only get it to run on my NVidia chipset mainboard by turning off USB 2.0 and running on USB 1.1 . I've flashed the latest BIOS (which originally had USB problems) and installed the latest drivers but it's still dead on USB 2.0

I suspect a driver problem combined with some quirk in the smartcable implementation as my USB 2.0 memory stick works ok at least.

regards Mark Harriss

Reply to
Mark Harriss

actually it was 9:49 PM my time

Reply to
Mark Harriss

The main problem I've had with the Atmels (Mega16 and Mega32) has been the oscillators switching to external - which effectively makes them dead as far as a serial programmer is concerned.

Simple solution - inject an oscillator into XTAL1 and change the lockbits.

Alan

Jenal Communications