Why do in-dash GPS not show speed?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why in-dash GPS units do not show speed but all on-dash units do? I recently did a trip to Qld and back and took along the old TomTom so I could get a real speed reading (speedo is out by ~5k/h above 100k).

Reply to
ross.p.tester

prolly cvan't meet the specifications needed for automobile instruments.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Conflict with existing speedo, whose position in law is clearly defined by cases?

Reply to
news13

Because the vehicles speedo errs on the side of reading fast so there will always be a discrepancy.

Reply to
Clocky