Why are lights & GPO's on different circuits?

You are correct about the Wiring Regulations. It's actually a state rule for Western Australia, also for public buildings such as theatres and halls the lighting can't all be off one phase.

Reply to
Davo

  • Which proves MY point EXACTLY !!

Because the wiring rule changes are NOT retrospective they CANNOT have anything to do with wiring practices that PRE - DATE their introduction.

YOU IMBECILES !!

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

True, the wiring rules are not retrospective, but if you do *any* alterations or additions to an old installation, then the new wiring rules do apply to the part of the installation to which you have done the alterations or additions.

If you add a new power point, or indeed technically change a single power point to a double, on an existing circuit, then under the current wiring rules, that final circuit has to be be protected by an RCD. Similarly if you add a new lighting point to an existing light circuit, you have to protect the circuit with an RCD. Note the 2007 wiring rules require that the *circuit* be protected by and RCD, rather than the

*outlets*, which is a change from the old rules.

David

Reply to
David

Yes I possess the unfortunate name of Phil McKavity, I wish I was a dentist as then I'd probably own a nice Porsche

Reply to
Den

** So have nothing to do with this thread.

You PEDANTIC LUNATIC !!!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Den"

** Do you realise you CHANGED your ID after the first post ???

If you MUST do something as stupid as that again

- then let us all know.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They have plenty to do with this thread, and your incorrect answers and comments to the OP's question in this thread. To quote your exact response:

Safety grounding *IS* required for ordinary lighting fixtures, and is certainly not a reason why lights and GPO's are on different circuits.

Please do us all favour, and actually go and *READ* the standards before you go off half cocked, giving what you imagine might be an answer. When I see your name in the Dept of Fair Trading list of licensed electrical contractors, then I might possibly have a little respect for your answers.

David

Reply to
David

The reason is just so that if something shorts out/dies you don't loose your lights. This goes back to the 1800's when motors and heaters would routinely short out.

Reply to
MisterE

** Only in your demented, pig ignorant fantasy world.
** But was not the case back even 20 years ago, let alone more than 50 years ago.

Even now, the VAST MAJORITY of residences do not have it.

So it is a MAJOR reason why the MAJORITY of lighting circuits are and have been for decades kept seperate.

No go eat a big packet of Ratsak -

you rediculous, bloody TROLLING PEDANT !!

..... Phil

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

in reality you got the wrong answer again , any alteration to the circuit requires compliance , even a dick toucher like you should be able to recognise the truth in this matter philthy

irrelevent

here in Qld they do as a compliance with the law

how about the next time someone comes to the gate to "speak " to you they gain entry

you sick drug taking meat pipe smoking retarded goose

Reply to
atec77

Apologies - yes I realised, we've more than 1 pc & 1 user in the house...

Reply to
Den