Water level indication

I need to provide a simple, remote reading, water level indication system for my under-home water storage system, I am building. Any thoughts and experiences on a suitable sensor? Maximum depth of the water will be approximately 1.5 Metres (maybe 1.8, if I can be bothered digging a few more Tonnes of dirt) I thought of the logical ones:

*A float on the end of a long arm, with a pot. *A row of contacts, arranged vertically.

Naturally, accuracy is not that important. The boss just needs to have some kind of idea of how much water is left and how much is being used, when she waters the garden.

FWIW, the total amount of water involved will be between 8kL - 10kL.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

This simple enough?

Jonno

**Yep. That was my second suggestion. I was wondering if there were any others.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

A floatation ball with simple pully, rope and weight on outside, or simpler still, a transparent hose fitted to the outside of the tank, connected to the bottom leaving the top free mounted to the side. You can then see the level, but not remote like wired system.

Reply to
Jonno

**Ah, pressure sensors? I hadn't considered that. It should be simple enough job to build something to achieve that. I wonder what Farnell has? Maybe an old washing machine mass sensor could be reworked?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

ultrasonic units are also made for this type of thing. Much more complicated than you need though.

Reply to
Jonno

more

A couple of things I've tried and/or considered: Pressure sensors from Freescale Semiconductor Ultrasonic sensors - you can get a pre-jigged modules that are used for robotics Resistance along stainless-steel wire(s) using the circuit on this page

A the moment I'm concentrating on the pressure sensor for monitoring the level of a bore, as it only requires dropping 4mm poly pipe down the bore with a weight on the bottom. The integrated sensors put out a nice 0-5v signal.

Reply to
Poxy

Do you know any Instrument Fitters who work in a large industrial plant? If so, maybe they can obtain an old, disused pressure or differential pressure transmitter for you to use as a level transmitter. Then you'd just need a 24v power supply and a remote level indicator. It might be a little bit more hassle than what you are after but its an option.

Reply to
Stephen Robinison

I was thinking more along the lines of a Pressure Transmitter, like a Rosemount 1151 or 3051, but the pressure sensor is along the same lines.

Reply to
Stephen Robinison

How about a float with a string around a pulley attached to a multi turn pot and a counterweight on the outside.

Two turns of the string around the pulley to stop it slipping.

Change the pully size to change the ratio between height change and number of turns of the pot.

If that is too easy, get a roller inductor and measure change in inductance instead of resistance.

Reply to
Bifa

Use a 555 rigged as an audio oscillator with two insulated metal plates in the tank a few centimetres apart to form the plates of a capacitor, water has a dielectric constant of

100 (I think) and the tone will vary with water level.

you could convert frequency to voltage for a meter circuit to indicate level also. This approach has no moving parts to rust and seize up.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

**Another nice idea and one I used at a science show in high school (aka: people sensor). Of course, we didn't have 555s back in those days.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Low cost system with remote digital readout

Regards Pete

Reply to
Peter

**Very nice.