Tps cable recall

Remember the recall of TPS cable one year ago? because it might degrade
in warm places.
I put a bit of it on the roof of a tin shed to see what happened to
it,it is still good.
I will take another look in a years time.

Re: Tps cable recall

The Infinity stuff:

<https://www.accc.gov.au/update/infinity-cable-recall-act-now-before-its-too-late

I wonder if it is any worse than the old rubber insulated single
conductor stuff used in 50's houses here in Oz.

Re: Tps cable recall

I've got a rubber extension cable that's 40+ years old at home, it's in
better nick than 5 yeard old PVC cables, it also always lays flat
on the floor.

--
  \_(?)_

Re: Tps cable recall

There was the old rubber insulation stuff installed in Aussie roof's
(rooves?) many years ago. The insulation would just crumble and fall
away on its own, it almost reverted to a powder. I guess it was a
different rubber.

Re: Tps cable recall

let's say attics :)

I've seen rubber insulation fail when exposed to the elements, but pvc
too, I have not encounteted it in fixed installs, except for really old
stuff in metal conduit. (and if you touch open that you get to replace it,
'cause it's stuffed)

Just saying rubber's not all bad.

--
  \_(?)_

Re: Tps cable recall

Agree, I have some old welding cable, probably 50 yrs old. The rubber is
still supple.

Re: Tps cable recall

My parents' old house had rubber insulation.  Also steel conduit.
So one day it just shorted out blowing the fuse, and the whole lot
needed replacing.

Re: Tps cable recall
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 21:01:50 -0700 (PDT)

My parents had that also.
On the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor, the tubing was hidden inside the wall.
On the top floor however, the tubing was attached to the wooden beams.
Only when someone almost got electrocuted touching the tube, we found
out it needed replacement.

joe

Re: Tps cable recall
The old cable that went in split conduit was VIR Vulcanized india rubber
it had fabric around it.
cable before that was lead covered, I am old enough to have used it,
We were still using it late 50s on ships wiring.

Re: Tps cable recall
"F Murtz"  wrote in message

The old cable that went in split conduit was VIR Vulcanized india rubber
it had fabric around it.
cable before that was lead covered, I am old enough to have used it,
We were still using it late 50s on ships wiring.

It was also a an alternative source of nourishment for our rodent friends
:-)

Site Timeline