Tps cable recall

Remember the recall of TPS cable one year ago? because it might degrade in warm places. I put a bit of it on the roof of a tin shed to see what happened to it,it is still good. I will take another look in a years time.

Reply to
F Murtz

The Infinity stuff:

I wonder if it is any worse than the old rubber insulated single conductor stuff used in 50's houses here in Oz.

Reply to
Oltimer

I've got a rubber extension cable that's 40+ years old at home, it's in better nick than 5 yeard old PVC cables, it also always lays flat on the floor.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

There was the old rubber insulation stuff installed in Aussie roof's (rooves?) many years ago. The insulation would just crumble and fall away on its own, it almost reverted to a powder. I guess it was a different rubber.

Reply to
Oltimer

let's say attics :)

I've seen rubber insulation fail when exposed to the elements, but pvc too, I have not encounteted it in fixed installs, except for really old stuff in metal conduit. (and if you touch open that you get to replace it, 'cause it's stuffed)

Just saying rubber's not all bad.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Agree, I have some old welding cable, probably 50 yrs old. The rubber is still supple.

Reply to
Oltimer

My parents' old house had rubber insulation. Also steel conduit. So one day it just shorted out blowing the fuse, and the whole lot needed replacing.

Reply to
bruce56

My parents had that also. On the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor, the tubing was hidden inside the wall. On the top floor however, the tubing was attached to the wooden beams. Only when someone almost got electrocuted touching the tube, we found out it needed replacement.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

The old cable that went in split conduit was VIR Vulcanized india rubber it had fabric around it. cable before that was lead covered, I am old enough to have used it, We were still using it late 50s on ships wiring.

Reply to
F Murtz

The old cable that went in split conduit was VIR Vulcanized india rubber it had fabric around it. cable before that was lead covered, I am old enough to have used it, We were still using it late 50s on ships wiring.

It was also a an alternative source of nourishment for our rodent friends :-)

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull