Stay away from HP stuff

The Real Andy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

On eof the best bits about them was that they had proper keyboards!

GB

--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

was

outside

but

technical

of

If

Reply to
John Ely

Why, would it print poor grammar ?

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Almost everything in fact.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

were

I would strip that to mice and keyboards and dd's. But these days even those use custom drivers, and yes, the drivers that ship with windows are typically written by the manufacturers.

And?

printers with ethernet connections still use drivers written by the manufacturers.

Reply to
The Real Andy

were

the custom drivers for mice and keyboards don't generally enable new hardware features just provide software that does stuff when a certain extra button is pressed... the regular generic drivers I use here can already sense extra buttons (where they use the regular protocol) and the user interface can be configured do any extra stuff I could want...

one less field whare proprietary drivers will be needed...

often that's not needed. many listen on IP port 515 and use the standard print protocol. if the printer understands PCL or Postscript (or some other standard data format) there's no need for proprietry drivers.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

  1. Do not mix professional and consumer grade products. Consumer grade is MUCH WORSE!
  1. I am not complaining about a faulty printer. If that was the case, HP would replace/repair it and I would not complain. Things do break doewn. However I am complaining about poor written software, HP unwilling to help customer and incompetence of support stuff. Having brand new printer not working and manufacturer not being able to do anything for weeks is unacceptable! It took over a month before I got a refund (and a lot of time spent on phone with HP support in India). Now I have cheaper Samsung and it actually works, so I am happy. I just know that if I or any of my customer will have problem with HP gear, HP is very uncooperative and customer service is virtually non-existent.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

I repeteadly offered HP "tech support" to take printer and my PC to their repair center. The standard answer was -- they will not be able to deal with software/drivers issues. I've been told that they can not even upgrade firmware on printer (which I find quite bizzare). I offered it number of times and got same responce.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

We use both. When you have a few 1000 printers, consumer crap makes a big difference to your capex.

I would bet if you had a problem with your Samsung the support would be no better than HP.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I have found HP's support (especially phone support) to be better than any other large IT supplier. I have had trouble at times getting the same from Acer before but I know people who swear by them. As for poorly written things, their printed literature (HP's) can be a little on the pathetic side sometimes.

Reply to
Tsunami Australia

Actually, I called Samsung for "pre-sales support" (I needed to sort out few things not mentioned on web site). I got to someone who can actually speak Engslish and they made sense.

But product works and I am hapy.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

many low-end HPs don't store significant firmware and have only a mask-rom bootloader.

the "firmware" is sent from the PC before printing can commence

--

Bye.
   Jasen

This is a more complex all-in-one laser printer/fax/scanner/copier. It has to have some sort of intelligence.

BTW, uploading latest firmware did not help anyway.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf