Skype is down.

Sounds like you became a supernode. You can get around this quite easily, first you need to be behind a NAT router (as everybody should be) and second I believe you need to change the incoming ports. Skype usually uses port

443, I can't find the reference, but I seem to remember that changing this prevents you from becoming a supernode.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

For the thousands of users of skype that are on this list, Skype is down, read:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

"Don McKenzie"

** Get no tears from me .......

Skype = Scam + Hype

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Have you actually used it? Tom

Reply to
Tom

** Fools have tried to use it on me.

Only a fool would tolerate its massive shortcomings, to save a few dollars, or inflict them on others.

It is an extraordinarily evil misuse of technology.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:-)

I have to agree, I persisted for about 2 months, as one of the very early customers, then gave it away.

It's not the sort of service that you can present as a professional front, if you are running a business, and I wouldn't put my daughter in Darwin through the pain privately either.

I call it a 90% service 90% of the time, but that is an over rating I feel.

I do however use the Skype chat service, as I hate windows messenger.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I used it for a while until one night it routed >450MB of traffic through my modem and PC in about 2 hours without my knowledge and wasted a large chunk of my monthly download allowance. I did a bit of checking and found that this is normal. Apparently it will do that even if you haven't officially started the Skype program running. I should have paid more attention to the fine print in the Skype EULA. I uninstalled it straight away. I've got Google Talk installed and it works well without doing things like that, but I almost never use it. All these messenger kinds of programs are an open invitation for people to annoy you when you're most busy. My 2c worth.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

** Skype is owned by eBay ......

Birds of feather - say I .

...... rgds Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Bob Parker"

** Better make it "5c worth" from now on - Bob.

The old 2 cent coins are not legal currency and so worthless.

Unlike your comments.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nup, 2c is still legal tender:

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Thanks! I neglected the effects of inflation. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Ray"

** Beg to differ:

1 cent & 2 cent coins were "called in" very long ago.

They are not " legal tender " in pursuance of a payment of any debt.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sheesh,

even in your own reference:

b) in the case of coins of the denomination of One cent or Two cents or coins of both of those denominations?for payment of an amount not exceeding 20 cents but for no greater amount;

And the Reserve Bank: not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (however, it should be noted that these coins have been withdrawn from circulation but are still legal tender);

Admittedly useless for any purpose these days, but the words are pretty clear on both web sites.

Were they actually "called in" or "removed from circulation" ? the Reserve Bank still recognises them as legal tender, and says they were simply removed from circulation.

The scrap value of the copper these days is probably higher anyway!

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Not quite. From the Royal Australian Mint web site:

  1. Are 1c & 2c coins still legal tender?

Yes, 1c and 2c pieces are still Australian legal tender, but they are not considered as ?currency? (or, money that is officially released for circulation). This means that you can take your old 1c and 2c coins to the bank and exchange them for currency totalling the same face value.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

"keithr"

** Sounds like YOU became a supernerd.

Or is that really super-turd ???????????

If the cap fits ......

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Ray"

** Yawn - no case to answer.

** See section 17 ??????????

It over-rides the others I listed purely for reference.

** The meaning is the same.

Because no person is obliged to accept any of them as payment - they are not legal tender under the Currency Act of 1965.

End of story.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** See my other posts.

Legal tender has a specific meaning under the Comomwealth Currency Act of

1965. 1 and 2 cent coins are not " legal tender " in pursuance of a payment of any debt.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That seems to be what happened. If I remember correctly, after the event and after I uninstalled it, I saw some reference on the net to a Skype setup option to stop it from doing that. That could be the same thing you're referring to. I was happy to be rid of it because people were interrupting me all the time ... same as with ICQ.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

They'd probably be worth a good deal more if they were not legal tender, because I guess that would then make it legal to melt them down for the copper.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Hawaiian good luck sign (AKA Binary four)

The other day I went to the local religious book store, where I saw a HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS bumper sticker. I bought it and put it on the back bumper of my car, and I'm really glad I did. What an uplifting experience followed!

I was stopped at the light at a busy intersection, just lost in thought about the Lord, and didn't notice that the light had changed. That bumper sticker really worked! I found lots of people who love Jesus. Why, the guy behind me started to honk like crazy. He must REALLY love the Lord because pretty soon, he leaned out his window and yelled, "Jesus Christ!" as loud as he could. It was like a football game with him shouting, "GO JESUS CHRIST, GO!!!"

Everyone else started honking, too, so I leaned out my window and waved and smiled to all of those loving people. There must have been a guy from Florida back there because I could hear him yelling something about a sunny beach, and saw him waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. I asked my two kids what that meant. They kind of squirmed, looked at each other, giggled and told me that it was the Hawaiian good luck sign. So, I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign back.

Several cars behind, a very nice man stepped out of his car and yelled something. I couldn't hear him very well, but it sounded like, "Mother trucker," or "Mother's from there." Maybe he was from Florida, too. He must really love the Lord. A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and were walking toward me. I bet they wanted to pray, but just then I noticed that the light had changed to yellow, and stepped on the gas. And a good thing I did, because I was the only driver to get across the intersection. I looked back at them standing there. I leaned way out the window, gave them a big smile and held up the Hawaiian good luck sign as I drove away.

Reply to
Frank