RS Coponents Australia

How long do they actually usually take to deliver in Australia something that comes ex-stock from the UK? They implied around 6 days, but I've been waiting since the 19th Jan.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**In general, Farnell and RS Components set the standard in this country for service. It is certainly unusual for delivery to take longer than promised. What did they say, when you asked about the delay?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Duuno, But in NZ (Welligton) if I order something that is not in stock ex-aAuckland, it often turns up from Oz the next day, BEFORE the stuff from Auckland ! UK takes about a week.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

That's odd...Is that via Australia Post? If so I would have expected it to be more like a week and a day. Here (country Vic) I usually get parcels ex Honk Kong sooner than ex Sydney :)

That said I have had some pleasent experiences (but not with Aust Post but with freight companies) wherein a part ordered from Sydney via their standard carrier service in the morning turns up the same afternoon. I'm still not sure how that works.

James

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4849 (20100208) __________

James

Fedex I think. Fortunately they cover the extra cost.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Well, I sent them an email asking about the order, and they've sent a reply asking me to contact them about it.

Isn't that what I just did?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**It would seem so. For the record: I have found Farnell to have superior stock levels and service. If they stock your item, then they may be a better choice next time.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Someone else recently expressed the opposite view to me. I suppose it depends on one's personal experience of the two.

I assume that what RS mean by "contact them" is that I should phone them. They're not the first organisation I've come across that seems incapable of dealing with something without having a person hanging on to the other end of a phone line.

What if I were deaf? (I'm not, despite what some people may think). It must be hugely annoying to a deaf person to be told that email is not an adequate means of communication and that voice if the only acceptable mode.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I normally only deal with Farnell. My experience has been that any items they haven't had in stock and had to get from the U.K. has only taken a week max. for me to receive.

Reply to
noone

**Huh? That RS provides good service? Certainly, that has been my experience. Farnell, IME, is better. Does Farnell stock the item you require?
**Deal with Farnell next time. You are likely to experience fewer problems. Tell RS why you are switching suppliers.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

It appears that there was a problem with my credit card details (not specified, but probably expiry date given that they were recalled from RS Components' database). They'd neglected to inform me before despite having a valid email address (but not a valid telephone number).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Actully, the specific comment made by the other person related to stock levels in Australia - that RSComponents was more likely than Farnell to have an item here, available for delivery next day.

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Mebbe they want there to be no record of the conversation and any commitments/promises/best_guesses they give you. Email can be damning evidence.

Reply to
who where

Well, the explanation they gave is that they thought I wouldn't want to send my credit card details by email. Though their original message said nothing about the reason for wanting me to contact them.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

mode.

Darn right. Ask them for their Telex address if email is too modern for them to handle :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

When Optus upgraded their cable network a while back, which was going to render my old modem obsolete, they sent me a new cable modem with self-install instructions (despite their usual line being that people have to pay for a tech to come round to install modems). Installing it was easy (how hard can it be?), but it had to be registered on their network, for which they wanted me to phone to provide the umpteendigit HF MAC id.

They absolutely refused to do this by email, despite the clear benefits of having the id written down, rather than recited over a phone line. I remain bemused by their stance. Apparently they'd rather annoy me than use the same information from an email that they'd otherwise get from a phone call.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

**Perhaps my question was unclear. Does Farnell stock the item you require?

Everyone will have an opinion of RS vs. Farnell. My experience is that Farnell is superior. That said, RS has always, IME, provided excellent service. Of course, I have a 30 day account with both companies, so I need not bother with credit card silliness.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The ones I hate worse are the on-line businesses that refuse to even provide an email address! Jetstar is a good example that promotes their on-line booking system but provides no on-line communication at all. They RELY on people not waiting hours on hold to talk to someone who can't help them anyway. And they rely on people giving up after many letters. It's far easier to win the lottery than getting any joy from some companies.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

You just reminded me that I still have the US products part of an RS order outstanding; on checking I placed the order in March

2009.
--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Check these buggers out, mate. The best electronics supplier in the world. They are still doing what Dick Smith Electronics long ago forgot to do. Supply parts. Farnell and RS aren't too far behind, but Conrad is the best.

You don't have them yet in OZ, but they might open a branch if you ask nicely.

Reply to
fritz