replacement batteries for old appliances

I've just purchased a replacement Li-ion battery for my 8 year old Canon powershot G3 from a digital camera outfit, to prolong the life of what is an excellent piece of kit. Does anyone know whether these old model battery packs might be of recent manufacture, or more likely to date from the cameras era? If what I've purchased is around 8 years old, any idea on how much capacity it might retain?

Reply to
Bruce Varley

"Bruce Varley"

** You have heard of Wiki ?

" A Standard (Cobalt) Li-ion cell that is full most of the time at 25 °C (77 °F) irreversibly loses approximately 20% capacity per year.[citation needed] Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%-60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively.[citation needed] In contrast, the calendar life of LiFePO4 cells is not affected by being kept at a high state of charge.[47] "

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Bruce, I'm reading that as "how much of the original capacity will it now store" rather than "how flat is it likely to be out of the box".

In that context, many internet sources repeat useful life urban myths about "N cycles" (and that should be zero o-o-t-b) or X years" whichever happens first. Ain't all true.

Deliverable capacity deteriorates as a function of SOC and temp, but cycle life is anywhere from 500 to >1000 depending on how much of that SOC/temp has been accumulated. Cameras are a less hostile environment thermally than say laptops, but I have here a laptop battery from datecode "9637" that still delivers an hour's runtime vs the original

2.5-3 hours.

As your new pack is fresh from the pack, its SOC will be zip if it is NOS but once charged it should be capable of storing/delivering close to new capacity.

Reply to
who where