Relay contact ratings.

long

Bad idea. All that would happen would be that you'd discover that the distribution of emperatures in the fridge are not what you'd like them to be, but that since all you have is on/off switches for the compressor, fan, and defrost heater, there's little you can do about it.

But if you're also adding some mechanically operated vents, and some additional fans, then now you're talking.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

e:

e:

how long

timer

in off.

can

nate...

USD

a new

ctly

two

bits

bt we

do it

es

he

tat

me

wer

It

off

when

le

At least all around the heat exchanger and pipes.

We can control how much to defrost, by measuring temperature changes based on compressor and fan timings and loads. There are plenty of parameters we can measures and to adjust in heatings.

I would add additional hot water pipes. It's more cost efficient than electric heat.

Reply to
linnix

Eveb Apple gets better, and cheaper. Your point?

Reply to
krw

Apple has chosen not to compete on price, and have had staggering profits. Much corporate medical care in the US also does not compete on price, if at all.

As a larger issue, when people drill down into the details, competition as we generally think of it rarely matters much - differences in cost of orders of magnitude will matter while differences of even as much as 2x will not.

But the more something is a commodity, especially a commodity that has high volume, the more small differences in price matter.

Medical care is a craft good, and the farthest thing there is from a commodity. Will that change? Probably.

Specific to medical care 1) we do not have competitive provision of medical care in the US, and 2) universal care ala Yurp has actuarial effects very much in favor of it.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

e:

ote:

long

er

ff.

it

They don't. If the defrost time isnt properly controlled, its bound to end up being a compromise, too long most of the time but on occasion too short. That's when the system ices.

The temp the evporator reaches dont matter to the compressor, the latter has plenty of thermal capacity and some leeway.

NT

Reply to
NT

ow long

imer

off.

te...

new

ly

wo

ts

we

o it

ff

en

not at all, ice doesnt conduct heat well, so removing a thin layer of ice makes the cooling more energy efficient.

Reply to
NT

ote:

ow long

imer

off.

te...

new

ly

wo

ts

we

o it

And heat it up, just to cool it down later. I can't believe the fridge industry is still using inefficient timer based open loop control.

Reply to
linnix

ff

en

Its a nonissue. If you wanted to get every last drop of energy efficiency, the compressor could be run backwards to defrost the evaporator, thus making good use of the heat built up within it. Bu that wuold mean more cost, so its not done.

NT

Reply to
NT

tat

me

wer

It

off

when

It is done in some high end refrigeration system, with rerouting pipes, rather than reversing the compressor. Some even try to capture the heat build up by the compressor for defrosting.

Reply to
linnix

I don't understand.

Are Apple computers not ever better, cheaper, and faster too? The first Mac, with 128k of memory and a pokey MC68K--sold for $2,495 in

1984. Is the latest iPad not wireless, cheaper, faster, and better in almost every conceivable way?

Apple charges more, but is not Apple just one competitor among many? Have no other choices sprung up, each with different combinations of price and features, to suit the infinitely diverse spectrum of individual preferences and needs? Something for everyone?

Clearly, I don't understand the question.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

When did they let you out of the asylum, Philly? Your absence was not taken for granted.

--

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news-xfer.nntp.sonic.net!feeder.erje.net!de-l.enfer-du-nord.net!feeder1.enfer-du-nord.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail

Reply to
John Doe

Though on further examination, by the time you've paid the higher cost for the chip, the postage from the UK, and either bought or made the cable, it's considerably cheaper just to buy a programmer from a local supplier.

PICAXE is probably good for people who've little or no experience in programming, particularly at assembler code level.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

er,

50/

),

5

Get the PICKIT 3 for $7 more, in case you want to program PIC24 or PIC32. Not sure if PICKIT 2 can program them.

gin=3DPSF_392815|acc

Reply to
linnix

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:22:50 +1100, Sylvia Else wrote:>>

--
Did you see my posts re. a hardware solution here and on abse?
Reply to

--
Oops again:

Reply to
John Fields

I did, but I've formed the view that if I were going to do this, I'd include the thermostat as well, and choose a better point in the thermostat hysteresis at which to start the defrost cycle, rather than having a random relationship as is the situation now.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yes, we should have a thermistor for the room temperature, one for the inside temperature, one at the beginning of the heat exchanger and one at the end. This way, we can measure the temperature gradient based on compressor and heater run time, and control them. This should reduce unnecessary heating and cooling cycles.

Reply to
linnix

--- And, for the ASCIImatic (thanks, Steve :-):

. +V . | . 4060 Vcc +----+ . +------+ | U3C |K | O---->C . +-887K--|Rs MR|-------|------+-A / DIODE COIL]- -|K1 . | | | | | Y-+ | | O-> |NC . +-442K--|Rt | 10k +-B | +----+ | . | | | | | | | +-------->NO . +-0.1µF-|Ct Q13|--10nF-+ +-A | C . +------+ | | Y-+--1k--B 2N2222 . U1 | +-B \ E . U3A +-A | U3D | . 4081 Y-+ GND . +-B | . | | . | B-+ . +-Y U3B . | A-+ . 4060 | | . +------+ | Vcc | . +-976k--|Rs MR|-------+ | | . | | | | | . +-527k--|Rt | 10k | . | | | | | . +-1.0µF-|Ct Q13|--[10nF]--+---+ . +------+ . U2

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

st

al

2/

The US Department of Energy sponsored research into improving refrigerator efficiency. Here are a couple of starter links:

=3Dmr19970501-00

The main thing was increasing insulation from 1/2" to 2". Adaptive defrost is mentioned too (in the 2nd link).

The ultimate in efficient refrigerators is a chest freezer, home- converted into a fridge.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

cost

he

ocal

582/

in

Yes, that's exactly what i am thinking about.

Or a regular fridge turned sideway, with door pointing up.

Reply to
linnix