Re: Electrostatic chip for storing digital info?

I saw a kid sit down at a computer and wiggle the mouse to wake it up. No joy: the computer was off. The kid was stumped. "What the hell are we doing?" I asked myself as I pressed the big red switch.

So>Excellent points. I guess it is not surprising that kids today do no

have any concept about how computers operate, or how they boot >themselves when they are turned on. Good grief, it wasn't always that >way. Some older readers will remember when you had to toggle in the >boot codes from front panel switches, simply to have a paper tape >reader read the tape which held the program or operating system >instructions. > >Still, knowing how to do simple things like this is partially how I >make my living as a consulting engineer. And, if you have no boot ROMs >on the older systems, and no front panel switches, then they generally >have a second life as boat anchors. I've never encountered one without >either, since how would you have started them in the first case except >from a second computer (and I've seen that done). > >Kids, on the earlier computers like the DEC PDP-1 through the PDP-6, >to boot the machine you had to key in the boot sequences from front >panel located switches, and that would enable the machine to read the >boot tape, which in turn would tell it how to read and load program >tapes includin the operating sytem. > >It took about 10 years later, circa 1975, for self-booting systems to >arrive on the scene, and another 10 years later (circa 1985) for the >first personal computers to arrive. Networking came much later, but I >forgot in what year for the PCs. Unix systems had it much earlier, >with their networks mail systems over dial-up lines. That where the >Internet started, but originally only selected computers that were >allowed on the network. > >Harry C. > > > > > > > > >>> >> > It is totally impossible to store information in a computer once the >> > power is off! >> >> I guess you are too young to know about magnetic core memory... >> >>

____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Reply to
Tim Polmear