PIC24 USB suspend current

I've posted this on a Microchip forum, but I thought I'd see whether anyone here knows the answer.

I'm using a PIC24FJ64GB004 family MCU.

Is there any way of getting this MCU to consume no more than its maximum allowed 2.5mA when in USB suspend mode?

If I leave the USB module off, but set the system clock to the lowest value it would be permitted were the USB module in use (16MHz), and with the CPU in the idle state, I still see 6mA. The only way I've found of getting the current lower is by using the FRCDIV oscillator mode, and using a much slower clock. I've tried switching clock rates after the USB module is put into the suspend state, but then the USB module never resumes, which is not that much of surprise, since it violates the stated requirements for USB module operation (which include that a PLL mode be in use).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not sure if this appies in your case, but check the Errata on your chip. There are instances where certain combinations of register settings can result in higher-than-normal current consumption.

I encountered that scenario with a PIC32, the SPI module and certain reprogrammable I/O pin combos. The chip got alarmingly warm.

As always, turn off all unused modules, even if their default power-on state is off.

NTH

Reply to
Randy Day