OT: thoughts on this 'powerpot'

Came across this by chance today:

I'm very interested in this, as I run a wood heather and/or stove most of the year. This is the first I've heard of it, if this was scaled up a bit it could be very interesting. Interested in opinions both pro and con for this device, cheers.

Reply to
Jeßus

It looks like a peltier device.

I wonder how resistant it is to overheating damage.

Reply to
Kennedy

It is basically a thermocouple which had s**te efficency in a heated room, and most other places. Seriously, if they were that great, they'd be using them down the Antartic to top up their batteries from the cooking stove..

Expensive cooking pot really. That cord will eventually melt/burn and then you'll just have a heavy cooking pot.

Reply to
news13

I may have missed it, but I couldn't see what the specs were on the output of this device, and the details on cables and the apparent in line box-converter? seemed very vague?

Basically it looks good and scaling up for a wood stove etc. would be interesting. I lived off a wood stove for many years.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

All Olimex products now 30%+ off normal Olimex Prices.

Now 60% OFF. Only $18 for an Olinuxino Linux PC:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/olinuxino.html

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $20 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
Add VGA Monitor/TV, and PS2 Keyboard, or use USB Terminal
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I was wondering the same about heat damage too.

Reply to
Jeßus

Yes, pretty vague unfortunately.

Reply to
Jeßus

Unless your habits are entirely nocturnal, wouldn't a 5W solar panel (plus regulator) do the same job for less money?

--
John H
Reply to

Possibly, although maybe not during much of winter time. The cost of the device is the killer, obviously.

I already have solar panels, my main interest is in the fact that we run a wood heater or stove here most of the year, so plenty of energy in the form of heat to exploit.

I wonder if some sort of turbine could be added to the heater flue? Creosote buildup would be an issue, I guess... all I know is water turbines for hydro power are becoming *very* efficient these days, I wonder if the same could be applied to a heat driven turbine.

Reply to
Jeßus

Since you've got plenty of heat, and presumably aren't short of water either, then a steam turbine ought be the most efficient way to go!

--
John H
Reply to

vague deliberately, if you knew you would realise that it was not as good a s they want you to think.

--
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protec
tion is active.

At one stage, in one of the alternate small farm mags, Earth Garden or ????, there was a guy selling complete steam generators. It just comes down to steam driving a piston which uses an arm to drive a flywheel turning a generator/alternator.

Reply to
news13

This device uses the Seebeck effect to generate electricity and is not very effificient compared to say a stirling engine or a gas turbine.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Then there's the dunking duck (drinking bird, or whatever)... google will find it. You can make a large one using a refrigerant gas, such as propane, which ought be capable of driving a small generator using the original Pitman arm principal (as found on treadle sewing machines).

--
John H
Reply to

Err, one of the mythbuster projects was a cross arm with LPG cylinders at each end with solar heating the rising one. It works, but energy out put is minimal.

AFAIRI, thise dunking ducks did't keep going.

Reply to
news13

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:45:19 +0000 (UTC), news13 blathered on in:

I reckon deleting the word and sense 'eventually' might be the go...

--
Toby
Reply to

A bit noisier...

Kennedy

The one in SA was a massive combination of thermocouples. Does that make a themopile?

I know what a peltier is; it is what you get in those crap coolers eskies they sell in auto places and other.

Reply to
news13

Just have to own a Forrest and pile the wood on all day.

Reply to
F Murtz

Yeah, as far as I know that's what thermopiles are. They are/were used in nuclear based thermal power supplies in satellites.

Peltiers are great little devices, I reckon supercheap and others with their cheap arse coolers have given them a bad name!

Reply to
Kennedy

I think silicon chip did a project with them once but the 5A draw was a bit much for my interests/needs at the time.

Reply to
news13