Re: OT(for aus.cars)Ping anyone who knows aboutTG782T modem

> I have an old netgear DG834G that I used to use with TPG > when I used to live at Strathfield,Would that work with telstra?

It should do providing it is still working.

Just log into the admin page and put in your bigpond details then click apply.

The normal page is 192.168.0.1 however some isp's change this.

Reply to
XR8 Sprintless

Thanks I will try it as soon as I find where I have put the power supply.

F Murtz

Any joy with your Toyota keys? Regards, Jacko.

Reply to
Jacko

Not yet glad you reminded me still not game untill outside toyota dealers and I forgot

Reply to
F Murtz

if they're gigabit ports connecting them to a phone line will kill them.

transformers are the usual way to couple ethernet ports. I don't think I've ever seen an optocoupler used.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Mr. Murtz might not be a computer geek, but I doubt he'd have plugged the 'phone line into multiple network ports.

I don't make a habit of dismantling functional equipment, but the two most recent gigabit switches I've had to open have both used opto-couplers. Admittedly they were from the same manufacturer, so it might not be standard across the board. All of the 10Mbps and 100Mbps equipment I've opened in the past have used transformers.

And now the memories start flooding in... Trying to diagnose a network fault through a maze of coax - 1Mbps ArcNet connected through 50 ohm coaxial cable which wasn't allowed to be less than three metres long (per segment), and which needed to be terminated at each end. And LANtastic with its "bleep of death" resonating from all thirteen workstations... Ah, those were the days! :-P

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Offending article.

F Murtz

Well they're definitely transformers;

If you fancy replacing two 20-pin DIP packages in the hopes that they're the culprits, you can get ten of them for about $15 including postage from China;

How good are your soldering skills?

I'm a little hesitant to decisively point the finger at these though, as they have a habit of going t*ts-up as a complete package rather than individual ports.

Alternatively, you can get a replacement unit for about $50 including postage;

As mentioned previously though, a non-Thomson one would be a better idea for longer-term sanity.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

I can not imagine what would blow them individually either unless an intermittent short in a bit of cat five cable or termination would do it as I swapped it to different sockets testing them.

I have the DG834G but am having trouble configuring it for bigpond, when the holidays are over I might have another marathon with the telstra techs .

Reply to
F Murtz

soldering skills makes no difference, tried to order and they say can't be shipped to Australia. Might try wes or rs

Reply to
F Murtz

Did the vendor say that after you placed the order?

Just looking at the postage options, they're all available for postage to Australia;

If that vendor falls through, there're plenty of others;

Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom
Reply to
Bob Milutinovic

before the payment page after filling a form with name address etc.

Reply to
F Murtz